Imagine a company that began its journey over 330 years ago, not with lawn mowers, but with firearms. This is the story of Husqvarna, a name synonymous today with top-quality lawn mowers and outdoor equipment. Founded in 1689, Husqvarna has a rich history that intertwines with the evolution of various industries, from weaponry to sewing machines, and eventually to the lawn mowers we know today.
In this blog post, we delve into the fascinating history of Husqvarna, a company that has stood the test of time and adapted through centuries. We’ll explore how this Swedish powerhouse transitioned from a state-owned rifle factory to a leading manufacturer of outdoor power products, including the lawn mowers that have become essential to homeowners worldwide. Join us as we uncover the origins of Husqvarna lawn mowers, revealing not just the ‘who’ but the ‘how’ and ‘why’ behind their creation.
Keynote: Who Makes Husqvarna Lawn Mowers?
Husqvarna lawn mowers, known for their quality and innovation, are products of the Husqvarna Group, a historic company with roots dating back to 1689 in Sweden. Originally a firearms manufacturer, Husqvarna has evolved over centuries, now leading in outdoor power products. Their lawn mowers, ranging from push mowers to advanced robotic models, are engineered for efficiency and user-friendliness.
Husqvarna Group’s Company History and Origins
The Husqvarna Group, a name that has become synonymous with quality lawn mowers and outdoor equipment, has a history that dates back to 1689 in Sweden. Originally established as a state-owned rifle factory, the company’s early years were marked by a strong commitment to precision and durability, qualities that would later define their lawn mowers. As the years progressed and the demand for firearms decreased, Husqvarna demonstrated remarkable adaptability and innovation.
In 1872, they ventured into the production of sewing machines, utilizing their existing machinery and expertise in metalwork in new and inventive ways. This period was a testament to Husqvarna’s ability to diversify and innovate, a theme that continued as they expanded into bicycle manufacturing in 1896, showcasing their versatility and foresight.
A significant turn in Husqvarna’s history came in 1959 with the acquisition of Flymo, a UK-based lawn mower manufacturer. This move marked Husqvarna’s entry into the lawn mower industry and signaled their commitment to becoming a leader in outdoor power products. Flymo was known for its innovative hover mowers, a technology that Husqvarna not only embraced but also improved upon.
This strategic acquisition expanded Husqvarna’s product line significantly and reinforced its position as a pioneer in the lawn care industry. The journey from a weapons manufacturer to a diversified powerhouse illustrates Husqvarna’s remarkable adaptability and enduring commitment to quality, setting the stage for its current reputation as a leading name in the lawn mower and outdoor equipment market.
Husqvarna Lawn Mower Manufacturing Facilities
Husqvarna’s commitment to quality and innovation in lawn mower manufacturing is evident in its strategically located production facilities. These facilities not only cater to the global demand but also reflect the company’s dedication to producing top-tier lawn care equipment.
Main Production Facilities
- McRae, Georgia, USA (Zero-Turn Mowers): This facility is a cornerstone in Husqvarna’s production network, specializing in the manufacture of zero-turn mowers. Known for their agility and efficiency, these mowers are a favorite among both professionals and homeowners. The McRae plant is instrumental in ensuring that these high-demand products meet Husqvarna’s stringent quality standards.
- Orangeburg, South Carolina, USA (Walk-Behind Mowers): The Orangeburg facility plays a crucial role in producing walk-behind mowers. These mowers are designed for versatility and ease of use, catering to a wide range of lawn sizes and types. The plant’s focus on quality and innovation ensures that each mower is reliable and user-friendly.
- RBC Bearings Manufacturing Plant (Mower Blades): The production of mower blades at the RBC Bearings plant is a testament to Husqvarna’s attention to detail. Mower blades are a critical component, and this facility ensures that they are crafted to the highest standards, maintaining the efficiency and durability that Husqvarna mowers are known for.
Overview of Other Regional Facilities Globally
In addition to its main facilities in the United States, Husqvarna operates several other manufacturing plants across the globe, each contributing to the company’s international presence and capability to serve diverse markets. These regional facilities are strategically located to optimize production efficiency, supply chain management, and distribution.
- European Facilities: In Europe, Husqvarna has established manufacturing units that cater to the specific needs of the European market. These facilities are known for their advanced technology and adherence to stringent environmental standards, reflecting the company’s commitment to sustainability and innovation.
- Asian and Australian Facilities: Husqvarna’s presence in Asia and Australia serves as a gateway to these rapidly growing markets. These facilities are equipped to produce a range of products, ensuring that they meet the unique demands and preferences of customers in these regions.
- Latin American Facilities: In Latin America, Husqvarna’s manufacturing plants are pivotal in addressing the needs of both commercial and residential customers. These facilities are tailored to produce mowers and other outdoor equipment that can withstand the diverse and often challenging landscaping conditions found in these areas.
Husqvarna’s Lawn Mower Brands and Models
Husqvarna Group, a leader in the lawn care industry, offers a diverse range of brands and models, each tailored to meet specific customer needs and preferences. This variety ensures that there’s a Husqvarna mower for every type of lawn and user.
Brands Under Husqvarna Group
- Husqvarna: The flagship brand, known for its robust and efficient lawn mowers, suitable for both professional landscapers and homeowners.
- Poulan Pro: Offers a range of user-friendly mowers, ideal for residential use with a focus on reliability and ease of use.
- McCulloch: Known for its powerful and durable mowers, McCulloch is a popular choice for those needing extra strength in lawn maintenance.
- Flymo: Specializes in hover mowers, perfect for small to medium-sized gardens, known for their lightweight and easy maneuverability.
- Gardena: Offers a range of gardening equipment including mowers, known for their innovative designs and suitability for smaller, intricate garden spaces.
- Weed Eater: Focuses on budget-friendly mowers, ideal for those seeking a simple, no-frills approach to lawn care.
Types of Mowers Produced
- Walk-Behind Mowers: These mowers are perfect for residential lawns and are known for their ease of use. They are ideal for smaller to medium-sized yards.
- Zero-Turn Riding Mowers: Designed for efficiency and speed, these mowers are best suited for larger areas and can navigate around obstacles with ease, making them a favorite among professionals.
- Robotic Mowers: These are the epitome of convenience and technology, ideal for those who want a well-maintained lawn without the effort. They are programmable and can handle various lawn sizes.
Highlighting Top Models and Features
- Husqvarna Automower® (Robotic Mower): Known for its smart navigation, weather resistance, and programmable features. It’s perfect for maintaining a pristine lawn with minimal human intervention.
- Poulan Pro PR500N21SH (Walk-Behind Mower): This model is celebrated for its reliability and ease of use, featuring a powerful engine and user-friendly controls, suitable for various grass types.
- McCulloch M115-77TC (Riding Mower): A compact yet powerful riding mower, ideal for medium to large-sized lawns. It offers excellent maneuverability and comfort.
- Flymo Hover Vac 250 (Hover Mower): Lightweight and easy to maneuver, this mower is perfect for small gardens. Its hover technology allows it to glide over the lawn, making mowing an effortless task.
- Gardena Sileno City (Robotic Mower): Designed for smaller lawns, this robotic mower operates quietly and efficiently, ensuring a perfectly maintained lawn with minimal effort.
- Weed Eater WE-ONE (Riding Mower): An affordable option for those with medium-sized lawns. It offers basic functionality without compromising on the quality of the cut.
Husqvarna’s Design and Engineering Process
Husqvarna’s reputation for producing high-quality lawn mowers is rooted in its meticulous design and engineering process. This process is a blend of innovative research and development, a focus on user-centric design, and stringent testing protocols.
Research and Development Facilities
- Global Innovation Centers: Husqvarna operates state-of-the-art R&D facilities across the globe. These centers are the birthplace of new ideas and technologies in lawn care equipment.
- Collaboration with Experts: The company collaborates with leading engineers, designers, and lawn care professionals to ensure that each product is crafted to meet the highest standards of performance and usability.
Focus on Ergonomics, Productivity, Efficiency
- Ergonomic Design: Husqvarna places a strong emphasis on the ergonomic design of its mowers. This approach ensures that the mowers are comfortable to use, reducing user fatigue and increasing productivity.
- Enhancing Productivity: Each mower is designed to maximize productivity. Features like wider cutting decks, efficient engines, and advanced navigation systems in robotic mowers are examples of Husqvarna’s commitment to efficient lawn care.
- Energy Efficiency: The company is also dedicated to improving the energy efficiency of its products. This includes the development of battery-powered models that offer a greener, more sustainable option for lawn maintenance.
Testing and Quality Assurance Protocols
- Rigorous Testing: Before any Husqvarna lawn mower reaches the market, it undergoes rigorous testing. This includes performance tests under various conditions, durability tests, and safety checks.
- Quality Assurance: Husqvarna’s quality assurance protocols are among the most stringent in the industry. From the initial design phase to the final product, every aspect of the mower is scrutinized to ensure it meets the company’s high standards.
- Continuous Improvement: Feedback from customers and dealers plays a crucial role in Husqvarna’s design process. This feedback loop helps in continuous improvement, ensuring that the mowers not only meet but exceed customer expectations.
Where Husqvarna Sources Lawn Mower Components
Husqvarna’s commitment to quality extends to every component of their lawn mowers. The company sources its parts from reputable manufacturers and develops key technologies in-house, ensuring that each element of their mowers meets their high standards.
Engines: Briggs & Stratton and Kawasaki
- Briggs & Stratton: Known for their reliability and performance, Briggs & Stratton engines are a common choice for many of Husqvarna’s lawn mowers. These engines are celebrated for their durability and power, making them ideal for demanding lawn care tasks.
- Kawasaki: Husqvarna also utilizes engines from Kawasaki, another leader in the industry. Kawasaki engines are known for their efficiency and smooth operation, providing the power needed for Husqvarna’s high-performance mowers.
Cutting Decks and Belts from Proprietary Manufacturers
- High-Quality Cutting Decks: The cutting decks on Husqvarna mowers are sourced from specialized manufacturers who adhere to Husqvarna’s strict quality guidelines. These decks are designed for optimal cutting performance and durability.
- Durable Belts: Similarly, the belts used in Husqvarna mowers are sourced from manufacturers that specialize in producing high-quality, long-lasting components. This ensures that the mowers operate smoothly and reliably over time.
Robotics and Battery Technology Developed In-House
- Innovative Robotics: Husqvarna leads the market in robotic lawn mower technology. The company develops its robotic systems in-house, ensuring that these mowers are equipped with the latest technology for autonomous lawn care.
- Advanced Battery Technology: Husqvarna is at the forefront of battery technology development. Their in-house team works on creating efficient, long-lasting batteries, particularly for their cordless and robotic mowers. This focus on battery technology is part of Husqvarna’s commitment to providing eco-friendly lawn care solutions.
Reasons For Husqvarna’s Strong Reputation
Husqvarna’s esteemed reputation in the lawn mower industry is not coincidental but the result of over a century of commitment to excellence, innovation, and customer satisfaction. Here are key factors that contribute to their strong standing:
Over 100 Years of Manufacturing Experience
With a history dating back to 1689 and over 100 years in manufacturing lawn mowers, Husqvarna has built an unparalleled level of expertise in outdoor power products. This extensive experience is reflected in their continuous evolution and innovation, adapting to changing consumer needs and technological advancements.
High User Ratings and Reviews
Husqvarna lawn mowers consistently receive high ratings and positive reviews from users. These reviews often highlight the mowers’ reliability, efficiency, and ease of use. User feedback is a testament to the quality and performance of Husqvarna products, reinforcing the brand’s reputation for excellence.
Leading Market Share in Robotic Mowers
Husqvarna is a pioneer in the field of robotic lawn mowers, with their Automower® range leading the market. The increasing popularity of robotic mowers and Husqvarna’s dominance in this segment underscore the company’s innovative capabilities and foresight in lawn care technology.
Strong Dealer Network and Customer Support
Husqvarna boasts a robust global dealer network, ensuring that customers have easy access to their products and services. The company is known for its comprehensive customer support, including maintenance services, parts availability, and expert advice, enhancing the overall customer experience.
As we conclude our exploration into who makes Husqvarna lawn mowers, it’s clear that the brand’s journey is more than just a tale of manufacturing. It’s a story of evolution, resilience, and innovation. From their origins as a rifle manufacturer to becoming a leader in the lawn care industry, Husqvarna has consistently demonstrated an ability to adapt and excel, reflecting a deep understanding of both technology and customer needs.
This journey invites us to consider how adaptability and commitment to quality can drive success over centuries. Husqvarna’s story is not just about creating lawn mowers; it’s about crafting a legacy. As we look at our own lawns, tended by these machines, we’re not just witnessing grass being cut. We’re seeing centuries of innovation at work, a testament to the enduring power of adaptability and the relentless pursuit of excellence.
Husqvarna Lawn Mowers Manufacture (FAQs)
Is Husqvarna a good lawn mower brand?
Husqvarna is widely recognized as a high-quality lawn mower brand. With over a century of experience in outdoor equipment, they are known for their durability, innovation, and wide range of products catering to different lawn care needs.
Who made Husqvarna mowers?
Husqvarna mowers are made by the Husqvarna Group, a Swedish company with a history dating back to 1689. Originally a firearms manufacturer, the company has evolved to become a leading name in outdoor power products, including lawn mowers.
Who makes the motors for Husqvarna?
The motors for Husqvarna lawn mowers are primarily made by Briggs & Stratton and Kawasaki. These manufacturers are known for their reliable and efficient engines, which contribute to the overall quality and performance of Husqvarna mowers.
Is Husky and Husqvarna the same company?
No, Husky and Husqvarna are not the same company. Husqvarna is a Swedish manufacturer known for its outdoor power products, while Husky is often associated with a brand of hand tools and is the house brand for The Home Depot.
Does Husqvarna make John Deere?
No, Husqvarna does not make John Deere. They are separate companies and competitors in the lawn care and outdoor equipment market. John Deere is an American company known for its agricultural, construction, and forestry machinery.
Which is better craftsman or Husqvarna riding mower?
The choice between Craftsman and Husqvarna riding mowers depends on individual needs and preferences. Husqvarna is often praised for its innovative features and durability, while Craftsman mowers are known for their reliability and value. Both brands have their strengths, and the better choice varies based on specific requirements and budget.
How long do Husqvarna mowers last?
Husqvarna mowers are known for their longevity and can last many years with proper maintenance. The lifespan typically ranges from 10 to 15 years, depending on the model, usage, and maintenance. Regular care and servicing play a crucial role in extending the life of a Husqvarna mower.
What types of lawn mowers does Husqvarna offer?
Husqvarna offers a variety of lawn mowers including garden tractors, push mowers, zero-turn mowers, and robotic mowers. Each type is designed for specific lawn care needs, ensuring quality mowing and fuel efficiency.
Has Husqvarna expanded beyond outdoor products?
Yes, Husqvarna’s history includes manufacturing a range of products beyond outdoor equipment. They have produced kitchen equipment, motorcycles, and even chainsaws, showcasing their diverse manufacturing capabilities.
How does Husqvarna ensure the ease of use of their lawn mowers?
Husqvarna lawn mowers are designed with user convenience in mind. Features like direction control in their tractor models and ergonomic designs in their push mowers and trimmers make them easy and comfortable to use.
What is the significance of Norrahammars Bruk in Husqvarna’s history?
Norrahammars Bruk was an important acquisition for Husqvarna, marking their entry into the lawn mower industry. This expanded their product range from traditional items like kitchen equipment to outdoor power equipment.
How does Husqvarna compare to Cub Cadet in terms of lawn mower quality?
Both Husqvarna and Cub Cadet are renowned for producing quality mowers. Consumer reports often highlight Husqvarna’s innovation in zero emissions and fuel-efficient technologies, while Cub Cadet is known for its robust power equipment and garden tractors.
Chris has 15 years of experience using all the latest technologies, machinery, and equipment available on the market today. His diverse experience allows him to provide homeowners with the best possible results while saving them a lot of time and money. When it comes to Lawn Tractors, Chris knows every model there is – so if you’re looking for advice, he’s your man!