Mowing a large lawn can be tiresome. If you have one of the best lawn tractors on the market, you can finish this job in a few hours.
This article shows you how to choose the best zero turn mower for 5 acres, explains their benefits, and indicates which type is best suited to different garden sizes.
For more information about the best lawn tractor for 5 acres or best garden tractor under $3000. Make sure you read it all.
“The Nifty House earns a commission from the links below at no additional cost to you.”
Best Pick For Certain Users or Circumstances
- Best Lawn Tractor For 5 Acres: Husqvarna MZ61 Zero Turn Riding Mower
- Best Riding Lawn Mower For 5 Acres: Husqvarna Z254 Zero Turn Riding Mower
- Best Small Tractor For 5 Acres: Husqvarna TS 354XD (54″) 24HP Kawasaki Garden Tractor
- Best Mower for Small Farm: Husqvarna YTH24V48 24 HP Yard Tractor
- Best Commercial Zero Turn Mower For 5 Acres: Swisher Z3166CPKA Big MOW Commercial Pro
- Best Zero Turn Mower For 5 Acres: Ariens 991163 Apex Zero Turn Lawn Tractor
- Best Garden Tractor Under $3000: Simplicity 2691458 Regent Riding Tractor
- Best Lawn Tractor for Hills: Craftsman Z525 Zero Turn Gas Powered Lawn Mower
- Best Mower For 7 Acres: Troy-Bilt Super Bronco XP 25 HP 54-Inch FAB Deck Electric Start Lawn Tractor
- Best Lawn Tractor For 10 Acres: Generac TB25044GENG Pro Tow-Behind Field and Brush Mower
Lawn Tractor Comparison Table
|Lawn Tractor Name||Engine Power (HP)||Cutting Width (Inch)||Operation Mode||Fuel (Gallon)||Acres /Hour||Weight (Pound)||Warranty|
|Husqvarna TS 354XD||24||54||Manual||4||1.23||690||3|
|Troy-Bilt Super Bronco XP||25||54||Manual||3||2.70||665||3|
Top 10 Best Lawn Tractor For 5 Acres [Expert Reviews & Buying Guide 2022]
1. Husqvarna MZ61 Zero Turn Riding Mower
Husqvarna MZ61 Review
Powerful Briggs and Stratton Engine
This Husqvarna MZ61 features a 27-horsepower Briggs and Stratton Endurance V-Twin engine. As a result, you will get forward 8.5 mph and reverse 5 mph speed. With that speed, you can mow 3–4-acre land in under an hour.
Along with, extreme power and dependability but the mowing operation are tranquil that doesn’t disturb your neighbors.
61” Fabricated Steel Cutting Deck
Another impressive feature of the Husqvarna mz61 is 61-inch Fabricated Steel Cutting Deck (up to 4.5 inches). With 3 steel blades, it can provide an accurate cut and enhance the appearance of your lawn.
This mower has the 3 in 1 cutting capability This mower avoids obstacles in its path because of its hydraulic zero-turn steering and removable foot pan. With air-induction technology, grass lifts and cuts faster. So, you can easily mow, mulch, bagged, and discharge pretty effectively.
A bag of mulch clippings can be placed in the MZ61 mulch clipper to collect all yard debris. If you truly want to use this feature, you can use the clipped grass to fertilize the soil as well. In that case, let the grass cut into fine pieces and discharged into the lawn.
Hydrostatic Gear Transmission
With the excellent hydrostatic gear transmission, Husqvarna MZ61 Zero Turn Riding Mower pass all the difficult test that many movers can’t. Mowing all types of lawn surfaces is easy with this 27 HP Briggs Endurance engine.
It provides foot, pedal, and hand joystick controlling systems for a comfortable and quick directional change. You have the complete ability to adjust direction with excellent speed.
Easy to Start
Nobody wants to rely on the machine’s mood. Husqvarna utilizes this human nature and develops Husqvarna MZ61, which can’t let you down, especially start the work. It one of the fastest starting lawn tractors on the market.
Most of the blown tractors maybe give you smooth starting performance first 4-5 months but with time laps increase. The Husqvarna MZ61 lawn tractor, however, comes with a Chokeless Start. Insert the key and feel the roar of the monster engine. There is no need to worry about safety features, as the machine won’t start until someone is seated on it.
Powerful and Fast
This zero-turn lawn tractor has exceptional speed and agility that gives you a memorable mowing experience and no issue adjusting speed and control direction.
Additionally, you can attach a lawn sweeper to save more time and increase productivity.
Look at the front and rear of the car. Isn’t the aesthetics pleasing to the eye? Orange and black detailing catch the eye in a generous splash.
Husqvarna MZ61’s durable caster wheels make it a highly balanced machine that won’t slip on flat surfaces. Consumers claimed that the vinyl seats of the MZ61 are similar to those of a luxury car. This ‘zero-turn beast’ is fast, efficient, and powerful.
Differences Between Husqvarna MZ61 vs MZT61
My research indicates that the only difference is the engine. A 27 HP Briggs & Stratton engine powers the MZ61. On the other hand, the MZT61 model is powered by a 24-horsepower Kawasaki engine and is available in Australia and New Zealand. A comparison of Husqvarna MZ61 vs MZT61 shows that MZ61 has a more powerful engine and is designed for heavy-duty jobs.
If you are a homeowner; and looking for a commercial lawn tractor to transform your big yard into fairly land. Then Husqvarna MZ61 zero turn riding lawn tractor is a perfect choice for you. This powerful, silent machine builds for cleaning large yards within minimum time with 100% professionalism.
What I Like Most
- Roll-over protection system (ROPS) for safe operation
- Powerful engine with hydrostatic gear transmission
- Zero-turn radius for easier manoeuvre
- No vibration while mowing
- Cutting deck lift with pedals
- Six-inch pneumatic tires
- Digital hour meter for calculating mowing time
- Headlight for better vision at night
- Moves with great speed
- In-built collecting bagger system
- Difficult to clean the middle blade area
- Going down on a hill track can be tricky
- Needs to change the oil regularly for smooth running
2. Husqvarna Z254 Zero Turn Riding Mower
Husqvarna Z254 Kawasaki Review
The Husqvarna Z254 lawnmower is designed for speed and cutting efficiency. It has a 26 horsepower Kohler motor. An engine like this one produces an incredible amount of power. When it is started, it will run at 6.5 mph. A lawn care business that needs to maintain large grounds, such as a golf course, will appreciate this feature because they won’t have to waste time going from Point A to Point B.
Ease of Use
With a zero-turning radius, the Husqvarna z254 zero-turn lawn mower is easy to operate. Hydrostatic hydro-gear ZT-2200 transmission effectively produces power for climbing hills and cutting through grasses. Additionally, the mower deck offers six different adjustment positions and a spring-assist system.
If there is a warm and sunny summer, along with seasonal rain, this is ideal. You can just keep the grass trimmed on the deck and set it on its lowest setting. Later in the summer, you can raise the height of your cutting deck, so the turf is not exposed to the hot, baking sun.
Additionally, lawn care professionals can quickly change the length of the grass blades due to the height adjustment on the cutting deck.
Cut Quality and Options
A 54-inch wide flat-stock steel deck is reinforced with stamped steel to ensure extra durability. In addition, the Husqvarna Z254 has a unique air induction mowing system designed to play a dynamic role in the blades, cutting deck and side discharge. As a result, it helps deliver a superior cut across the deck and draws air from the top and bottom.
It is also equipped with the best air filtration system for the engine, which gives your mower more airflow and, in turn, extends its life. You can also bag or mulch the grass clippings after harvesting.
You must perform the same maintenance as you would for any gasoline-powered lawnmower. Ensure that oil is changed regularly and the belts and all other moving parts are adequately lubricated. Additionally, you will need to replace or carefully sharpen the cutting blades.
Sharpening the blades or changing the oil could be hazardous. Therefore, if you do not have a proper, rated riding lawn mower jack, you need to purchase one.
The Husqvarna Z254 features a patent-pending park brake system that automatically activates when the steering lever is moved outward or inward. This is one of the best safeties features you can have onboard.
Differences Between Husqvarna Z254 vs Z254F
Husqvarna manufactures both models, Z254 and Z254F, under one brand. However, the design, mechanics, and durability of each differ slightly. As for the cutting decks, Z254 has a steel of 12-gauge, while Z254F has a steel of 10-gauge.
The Z254 is equipped with a Kawasaki engine rated at 24 horsepower, while the Z254F has a 23-horsepower engine. Comparing Husqvarna Z254 vs Z254F, the Z254 seems to be the clear winner for ease of operation.
Husqvarna Z254 one of the best residential and professional mowers with ergonomic features and effective performance. If you have a large yard, then it’s a perfect match for you.
Due to its 54-inch wide, thick, and sturdy deck and powerful Kohler 7000 series engine, the Husqvarna Z254 offers superior performance and precision cutting to your lawn.
What I Like Most
- 54-inch cutting deck constructed of 12-gauge steel
- Ideal for yards with many trees or bushes
- Superior grass lift for better cutting performance
- LED light on the bumper for late-night working
- Zero-turn radius
- Automatic parking brake
- Excellent steering and maneuverability
- Ergonomic design and ease of operation
- Various attachments available
- The hydrostatic transmission is very responsive
- Grass clippings accumulate on the deck
- Zero-turn radius driving requires some practice
3. Husqvarna TS 354XD (54″) 24HP Kawasaki Garden Tractor
Husqvarna TS 354XD Reviews
54 Inches Deck with Clearcut Technology
Its deck measures 54 inches long, making it one of the larger tractors that can handle up to five acres. The cutting deck is reinforced with more welded areas for even more excellent durability.
It is suitable for large gardens due to the size of the deck, as well as the use of ClearCut technology. Besides their speed, the decks have a reputation for maintaining accuracy all the time.
Easy Start and Adjustment
The mowing blades on this tractor are made with electric engagement. Hence, you won’t have to put much effort into using it. Furthermore, you only need to push a button to start the tractor cutting the grass.
Besides, the tractor can be adjusted to six different heights in order to provide comfort. The steering wheel is built with comfortable materials as well.
A cast-iron axel and wide tires provide excellent stability and balance when mowing rough terrain. Additionally, the cutting deck is equipped with anti-scalping wheels to prevent scalping.
In addition to its commercial-grade ground-engaging transmission, the garden tractor is also equipped with a dash-operated differential lock which prevents overheating on its wide, wide rear tires.
Besides having a powerful 24 hp Kawasaki V-Twin engine, the 354XD has a 54-inch cutting deck so you can mow large areas more quickly. Pressure-lubricated engines are quiet despite their power.
Quick and Efficient Maneuver
The mower’s hydrostatic transmission allows you to easily adjust the speed to 5.5 MPH or 2.5 MPH in reverse, depending on your preferences. With a 16-inch turning radius and cruise control, you can comfortably maneuver this riding mower in tight spaces.
Husqvarna TS 354XD has double draglinks and cast-iron front axles for stability and balance. It comes with LED headlights, an hour meter, and a large fuel tank with a visible fuel level. In addition, a soft-touch steering wheel reduces effort and ensures better ergonomics. Husqvarna covers it with a 3-year warranty as well.
Differences Between Husqvarna TS354XD vs Husqvarna TS354D
The only notable difference between the two, Husqvarna ts354xd vs Husqvarna ts354d, is the cutting deck size. The Husqvarna ts354xd has a 54-inch reinforced cutting deck, while the Husqvarna ts354d offers a 48-inch reinforced cutting deck.
Garden tractors are larger and more powerful machines. They can be equipped with attachments to help them engage the ground. In that case, Husqvarna’s TS 354XD is a great mower that can handle some of the toughest lawn care jobs.
What I Like Most
- Kawasaki V-twin engine with strong power and reliability
- The seat has a high back for comfort
- Incorporates a ground-engagement system
- Outstanding performance on rugged terrain
- Heavy-duty steel construction
- Roomy cockpit
- LED headlights
- The seat needs to be more shock-absorbing
- When engaging the deck, it is quite loud
4. Husqvarna YTH24V48 24 HP Yard Tractor
Husqvarna YTH24V48 Reviews
24 HP Briggs & Stratton Engines With 48-Inch Cutting Deck
This model is small and quiet which results in a great choice for people who live in quiet environments.
Unlike other Husqvarna YTH24V48 is the best lawn mower for 5 acres with its superior cutting deck and superior results. A blade engagement and cutting adjustment mechanism are also included in the fender. So, your grass can be cut quickly and accurately.
Hydrostatic Pedal Transmission
Hydraulic pedals make it easy to control forward and reverse speeds. This vehicle’s hydrostatic transmission provides a top speed of 7.75 miles per hour forward and 3 miles per hour in reverse, as well as cruise control that keeps speed throughout rough terrain.
It includes a hydrostatic transmission, which ensures fast and smooth transportation. So, the mower doesn’t feel jerky or overwhelming, nor is it overpowering.
Husqvarna 24 HP yard tractor YTH24v48 was equipped with all-season attachments. You can easily add snow blades, a trailer, even a collecting bin to the mower. It can cut, mulch, and tow grass under all kinds of weather.
Compact and Comfortable
Husqvarna mower has electric blade engagement. The blades are engaged by a simple switch. To mow a 3-acre area, the engine requires just 3 gallons of fuel.
It is the best tractor for 5 acres and medium-sized yards. During the operation, its size will make it easy for you to maneuver. It requires less storage space than other models on the market.
This machine offers several features, including an adjustable cutting height, a reinforced deck, anti-scalp wheels, a fuel level indicator, and an hour meter.
Differences Between Husqvarna YTH24V48 vs YTH23V48
Engine power is a major factor to consider when comparing Husqvarna yth24v48 vs Husqvarna yth23v48. Husqvarna Yth24v48 model is equipped with 24 HP Briggs & Stratton engines, whereas the Yth23v48 model is equipped with 23 HP two-cylinder Briggs & Stratton Intek engines. Other major factors such as cutting deck are the same.
This professional lawn tractor will give you comfort, versatility, and quality in one piece. You can cut grass in different shapes or heights with the multiple height setting options. If you work on larger pieces of land with rough terrain, this is a great option.
What I Like Most
- 3 gallons of fuel for up to 2 to 3 acres without refueling or stopping
- Excellent cutting power
- Suitable to both grass cutting and mulch cutting
- Made of high-quality materials
- Ideal for larger lawns
- Automatically engages blades
- 4 anti-scalp deck wheels for preventing lawn damage
- This machine does not display how much fuel it has left
- It didn’t perform well on hills
5. Swisher Z3166CPKA Big MOW Commercial Pro
Swisher 60 Zero Turn Mower
66 Inches Fabricated Front Mount Cutting Deck
Looking for a highly versatile zero-turn mower? If you are looking for the best investment for your lawn, Swisher Z3166CPKA Big MOW Commercial Pro Zero Turn Mower might be the perfect one.
The Swisher Z3166CPKA is constructed from exceptionally durable materials. In addition, the lawn tractor is designed to have a lower center of gravity, which makes it easier for you to move around your lawn. The quick response control system enables the vehicle to move faster and more efficiently.
With a 66-inch large cut, Swisher big mows are powered by a 31 horsepower (999cc) Kawasaki engine. You can move over difficult terrain with the help of two commercial-grade Hydro-Gear 3400 transmissions and large chevron-tread tires. In the vehicle, two fuel tanks contain 4 gallons each.
Swisher BIG MOW 66 comes with standard roll-over protection and a seatbelt. With its professional high back suspension seat, it gives a smooth ride that can be fully adjusted. You can position your arms comfortably thanks to Rapid Response Control.
A Lawn Tractor for Thick Grass
This BIG MOW features a 6-foot fabricated deck with three G6 Gator commercial-grade blades for mowing thick grass with ease. This design allows for mowing under low clearance obstacles and maintaining a clear view of the mowing path. A simple electronic control makes it easier to clean the deck.
Dual LED headlights keep the BIG MOW going even when the sun is low on the horizon. Additional features include cast iron blade spindles, steel floor pans with integrated storage, a battery compartment, a 12V adapter, and an hour meter.
If you need a heavy-duty lawn mower to handle large lawns, this would be a great option. With the help of it, you can mow a large lawn such as a football field or a golf course with ease.
Swisher’s BIG MOW is made for commercial use, so it can handle even the toughest mowing jobs. Parts are sourced globally and designed and manufactured in the United States.
What I Like Most
- Gas-driven Hydro-Gear 3400 transmission
- 10 MPH mowing speed
- Solid welded steel frame
- Comfortable, adjustable seat
- 8 Gallon fuel capacity
- Electric deck height adjustment
- Cast iron blade spindles
- Hour meter
- LED light that lets you see in the dark
- This large vehicle is difficult to maneuver on uneven terrain
- Expensive and not recommended for domestic usage
6. Ariens 991163 Apex Zero Turn Lawn Tractor
Ariens Apex 60 Kohler Review
Ariens Apex 60 Zero Turn Mower is capable of mowing four acres in approximately an hour. Cutting the turf quickly without damaging it is possible with hydraulic controls and a top speed of 8 miles per hour.
With Consistent-Cut technology, this lawnmower can mow tall and damp grass with ease. It gives you the kind of consistency in power you need to achieve a properly manicured lawn.
One of The Best-In-Line Durability
In addition to the built-in deck, the Ariens Apex comes with a tubular frame fabricated from industrial-grade steel. This gives the machine a sturdy foundation.
Designed to bring a professional cutting performance to your home, the Apex is equipped with a continuous belt tension system (CBT). As a result, the CBT minimizes wear and heat, thereby reducing the need to adjust the mower on undulating and rough terrain.
Ease of Use and Precision
Ariens Apex deck lifts are so popular because of their intuitive foot-operated system. This system is particularly useful when you need to change the cutting height, position, and increments of your lawn since no lawn is the same amount of wild grass growing throughout it.
With a simple foot pressure, you could adjust between 15 different cutting positions in 1/4-inch increments. Furthermore, you appreciated the fact that it allowed you to work under the sun for hours on end without exhibiting any signs of overheating. The aluminum spindles in the design reduce the bearing temperature significantly, resulting in a cooler operating environment.
Cut Quality and Options
Its 25 horsepower HD V-Twin-Cylinder Engine delivers commercial-grade performance. This zero-turn mower comes with some critical components in this such as the fuel filter, the air filter, and the oil filter. This system is made from premium materials that enhance the longevity of the engine as well as ensure safe operation.
Maintenance and Safety Features
Ariens 60-inch zero turn mower has a cutoff switch that is activated by seat pressure. In addition to helping you stay comfortable during a long mowing session; the upholstered seat and control arms are designed to fit your shape. This removes the risk of making an accidental operating error when you have to deal with uncomfortable or awkward controls.
To ensure smooth operation, it’s also essential to lubricate each jerk. Always check tire pressure at least once during the season.
The engine and other sensitive parts of the Ariens Apex 60 are kept running smoothly by a pressurized lubrication system. The machine boasts Hydro-Gear transmission and ZT-3100 transaxles that can keep mowing for more than 1000 hours without requiring oil.
It is a top-notch residential lawn mower on the market. Thus, this mower allows you to cut your grass and save money by not buying highly-priced mowers. The mower comes with all the best features and delivers effective and superior results, keeping you within your budget. One of the best zero turn for 5 acres.
What I Like Most
- The seat is fully adjustable ensuring operator comfort
- Almost indestructible, sturdy, and maintenance-free
- 15 different cutting settings adjustable by 1/4-inch increments
- 4mph in reverse, and 8mph at top speed
- The USA assembled unit
- Equipped with oil lubrication
- Less fuel consumption
- Sturdy, corrosion-resistant frame
- Efficient enough to mow four acres in an hour
- Makes some noise
- The seat doesn’t last as long
- No additional attachments
7. Simplicity 2691458 Regent Riding Tractor
Simplicity Mowers Lawn Tractor Review
In 1957, the company introduced its first tractor, called the Wonderboy. Offering both versatility and consistency in their performance, they become increasingly popular. Their lawn care products and services are available with many excellent features to fit your needs.
It has a Stratton engine combined with a dependable Briggs engine. Power and endurance are some of the key advantages of these engines. They also include many different features. Easy starting, smooth and quiet operation and enhanced power are characteristics of the engine.
Aside from that, it also features rugged decks with an electric height adjustment, as well as a comfortable rear suspension. Overall, this is a great mower with a great motor.
It features a free-floating deck to give scalp-free cutting. It has smooth finishing on the rear rollers so you can make stripes on the lawn.
In addition, the cutting height can be adjusted simply by pressing the switch. From 1.5 inches to 4 inches, you can select the electric height cut. The Simplicity 2691458 Regent Mower has a feature referred to as the “Free Floating Mower Deck”. They have patented a technology that allows their mowers to follow contours of lawn structures and prevent scalping.
Convenience and Versatility
Compared to other engines, Briggs and Stratton’s single-switch easy-start feature is a much more convenient way to initiate a new engine. The Simplicity eliminates the need for yanking on a chain to start the mower, which is quite frustrating.
It operates smoothly and quietly as well. Compared with a standard mower, it offers 25% less impact felt as a result of its rear suspension system. As a result, the rider’s comfort levels are increased significantly and one is able to traverse bumpy terrain effortlessly.
We are extremely pleased with the quality of the lawnmower. The mower is constructed using standardized, high-quality parts. Power and endurance are the main driving factors behind this mower. It is also packed full of features.
Safety and Comfort
Regent mowers have a safety switch for the user’s protection. The switch can be used whenever danger is present. The Regent Lawn Mower from Simplicity features a 15″ contoured seat that offers increased comfort and stability.
This mower is completely redesigned and has a new heat management system. For added safety, it even has LED lights on the front. This allows you to mow the lawn for hours, even at night, without tiring out. In the dark and on rocky or bumpy terrain, headlights are a must-have for lawn care professionals.
It has a powerful engine, so even the toughest work is made easy for its users. The simplicity 2691458 Regent Mower promises both performance and comfort.
A free-floating deck is one of the best features of this mower. This is quite a unique and trademarked design from Simplicity and allows the deck to easily follow the contours of the lawn. As a result, bumpy edges can be cut without causing scalp irritation, and full-width rear rollers can provide a finish similar to that of ballpark lawn stripes.
What I Like Most
- Ease of use and high cutting performance
- It comes with comfortable 15-inch seats
- The floating deck allows the mower to easily go over bumpy, uneven terrain
- The comfortable cockpit makes it easy to operate
- The rear rollers ensure an even and smooth trim every time
- Insufficient versatility
- The accessory compatibility is limited
8. Craftsman Z525 Zero Turn Gas Powered Lawn Mower
Craftsman Z525 Zero Turn Review
This fast and easy to use lawn mower caught my attention and impressed me at first glance. Mowing with this mower will be a pleasure. There are a few design highlights that make the Z525 mower so appealing.
This machine can cut up to 46 inches wide. The vehicle features a 360-degree turning radius, which makes maneuvering very easy. Even the operator’s seat is cushioned to provide maximum comfort.
Its sturdy rear wheels provide optimal ground clearance. One more cool feature I absolutely adored was the Easy Start, as it allows you to start your mower in just a few seconds.
The Craftsman 46 zero turn mower combines an innovative twin-cylinder gas engine with 24 HP, which is powerful enough to mow most of the lawns you have at home.
It can also mow in reverse in addition to its zero-turn capabilities. With the dual Hydro Gear EZT with dual steering lever, this machine offers you greater control in mowing your lawn because it features a sufficiently cushioned high-back seat.
If you do not have the appropriate equipment and tools for the job, you can find mowing a large lawn challenging. You will not have to worry about performance with this lawn tractor as it offers top-notch performance.
The Craftsman riding lawn mower has a 46-inch, 9-position deck that is highly versatile for cutting, trimming, and clipping grass in one pass. You can also purchase a bagger to collect the grass clippings and a mulching kit to give your lawn a perfectly trimmed look.
The Craftsman 46 zero-turn mower is the right choice for large lawns. With it, you get the best efficiency and control. The flexible and long cutting width makes it possible to mow your lawn faster and more efficiently.
What I Like Most
- Available with a bagger and mulching kit
- Once you get used to the controls, it’s easy to drive
- Cleanup was easy according to several owners
- Includes a Dual Hydro Gear EZT
- Mowing in reverse is excellent
- value for the price
- Large anti-scalp tires
- Do not recommend for small properties
- Takes some time to start
9. Troy-Bilt Super Bronco XP 25 HP 54-Inch FAB Deck Electric Start Lawn Tractor
Troy-Bilt Super Bronco 54 Review
This mower is equipped with a powerful 25 HP Kohler 7000 Series Push Button Electric Start Engine, which is able to handle rough, difficult terrain, unlike other mowers. In addition to making turns easier, it also makes climbing hills easier. Additionally, the vehicle has a top speed of 5.5 mph. You can control the transmission’s speed on foot.
Cut Quality and Options
Troy-Bilt Bronco mowers allow you to adjust the mower deck height on the go. Too much speed can be uncomfortable. Still, you can adjust the deck height if you need to handle an awkward incline or a particularly thick patch of lawn. It is also built with an adjustable deck that can be adjusted to up to twelve distinct cutting positions.
Ease of Use
Troy-Bilt Broncos are relatively easy to use, as long as you maintain them properly. In situations where you put low-quality gas into it, lubricate the bearings improperly, or fail to change the oil on time, it can really spoil a wonderful day of mowing.
The steering wheel has a Soft Touch feature and the seat is high back, which makes it easy to maneuver. You won’t have the same backache and numbness you get with other riding lawnmowers.
As I mentioned, Troy-Bilt Broncos require proper maintenance to avoid minor issues. Do not get me wrong, this is not a bad mower. The most important thing is for you to always make sure that you change the oil, grease the pulleys, and check the belts, as well as to give the air filter a once-over.
The blades should also be replaced regularly. During the peak of the season, Troy-Bilt can sometimes run out of stock on them. Make sure you order new blades in the spring if you suspect that your old ones might need to be replaced this summer. Once you have them, changing them out is relatively easy.
With a built-in integrated deck wash system, it can be easily cleaned up as well.
This Troy-Bilt Bronco has a high back seat that includes the usual pressure sensor that you’d expect on a riding lawnmower. It’s really nice to have soft-touch steering. Troy-Bilt Bronco’s easy maneuverability will delight customers who have struggled with riding lawn mowers in a yard filled with turns and landscaping elements.
A high-back seat and a soft steering wheel help you feel comfortable as you drive. You can use this if your lawn is bumpy or uneven.
Troy-Bilt’s Super Bronco XP Garden Tractor will enable you to easily handle all your lawn and garden mowing tasks. Whether you need to cut grass or mow a lawn, it will do the job efficiently and effectively.
What I Like Most
- Features deck wash capabilities
- 12 Position Adjustment Deck Height
- Easy to adjust Hydrostatic transmission
- Easy-to-handle steering
- Contoured high-back seat
- Reinforced cast-iron front axle
- Needs routine maintenance
10. Generac TB25044GENG Pro Tow-Behind Field and Brush Mower
Generac Pro Tow Behind Field and Brush Mowers Review
Generac G-Force 608cc OHV Engine
18.67 HP Generac G-Force engines are designed for long life, delivering powerful performance at an affordable price for a wide range of tasks. It takes only a few seconds to convert the motor from vertical to horizontal.
Generac is best known for its backup generators for homes, but they also make some outstanding power equipment. The company’s tow-behind mower is exactly what you hope it will be – a reliable machine that doesn’t let you down. With its own G-Force engine, it’s capable of tearing through heavy brush.
In comparison with other valve designs, overhead valves (OHVs) deliver greater efficiency and performance. Equipped with dual-element air filters and a convenient electronic ignition. When it comes to lubrication, pressure lubrication is superior (especially on inclines).
Featuring an engine protection system that protects it against all debris kicked up while you’re cutting, they are easy to use, comfortable, and easy to start.
44-Inch Cutting Width
With the floating deck, uneven ground can be accommodated without scalping. The pivoting blades are extremely tough and impact-absorbing. With two hand cranks, you can adjust the height-of-cut without a tool!
Due to the extending blade, you can mow right next to fences, walls, hedgerows, and other obstacles without interference. A suspension system allows the deck to ride over high points and minimize scalping. This prevents damage to the drivetrain as a result of overloading.
There are solid steel frames and thick powder coats that make it tough and long-lasting. Remote control and easy height adjustment are provided, so using your ATV is no problem. For right- and left-side mowing, the Generac has an articulating arm like most tow-behind brush mowers.
The Generac pro tow behind field mower provides precise maneuverability while protecting the drivetrain with a powerful engine and floating deck. From the driver’s seat, you can engage and disengage the mower’s blade remotely, and it can mow up to 2 acres per hour. The brush bar on this machine is big, so it is suitable for both large and small projects, feeding vegetation under the deck where it is readily mulched.
What I Like Most
- Designed to last Long
- Compatible with most ATVs, UTVs, and tractors
- Come with driver-controlled remote controls
- Large decks for efficient, accurate mowing
- No tools needed for height adjustment
- The deck is not as wide as others available in the market
- Limited warranty period
Purchasing Considerations: How to Choose a Riding Lawn Mower?
To pick the best lawn tractor for 5 acres, take into consideration its size, terrain, and the features you care most about. Every individual will have different preferences. The mowers on this list, regardless of your needs or values, are of high quality, so when you identify what you need, you can find the perfect mower.
1. Types of Riding Lawn Mower
There are three types of riding lawn mowers: Rear Engine, Zero Turn Lawn Mowers, and Front Engine (Or) Lawn Tractor. It is important to consider how big your yard is in order to determine the type of riding lawn mower you need. Let’s know how to determine.
- A zero-turn mower or lawn tractor is most appropriate for medium and large yards (larger than 2 acres).
- You can choose a rear-engine lawnmower if you have a small yard (less than 1 to 2 acre) so that you can navigate a smaller yard easily and efficiently.
- A zero-turn mower is a better choice than a lawn tractor if your yard has a lot of obstacles. The vehicle can maneuver around gardens, trees, and flower beds easily with its zero-turn capability.
- You should choose a lawn tractor or zero-turn mower with high engine power (HP) for sloped yards, as they can easily climb slopes.
2. Power Source
In order to buy a riding lawn mower, you need to decide whether it should be electric or gas-powered. Before committing to a particular type, one should study the pros and cons.
- Gas Powdered Lawn Mower – It has greater power and can effectively mow medium to large yards. The engines in these types are noisier, less environmentally friendly, and require more maintenance (you need to change the oil, spark plug, and air filter). These mowers work well on thicker lawns, as they trim grass accurately, even where obstacles are present.
- Electric Powdered Lawn Mower – The operation is quieter, less powerful, and needs less maintenance yet has a shorter runtime (about 1 hour). This is the best mower for small to medium-sized lawns up to one acre. The mower needs more effort in situations where there are obstructions, such as inclines, thick grass, or flower beds, so the battery is quickly drained.
3. Deck Size
Your lawn mower’s cutting width guarantees your lawn has a certain amount of cutting space. Therefore, a wider deck size mower will cover more ground in less time. For example, a 54-inch mower will cover 30% more area than a 33-inch mower.
- Choose a lawnmower with a cutting deck no larger than 40 inches for a yard up to 1 to 2 acres.
- You should choose a mower with a cutting deck of 42 – 48 inches for medium-sized lawns (over 2 acres).
- You will need a mower with a 50-inch diameter cutting deck for larger lawns (3 acres or more).
An engine’s horsepower (HP) tells you how much power it produces. The mower will be able to work more efficiently if the engine has more horsepower. Therefore, the engine that has more horsepower can trim heavy grass quickly and perform even on hillsides.
- Use a 16HP mower for small lawns (1 acre).
- A 20HP mower would be appropriate for medium lawns (2 to 3 acres).
- You should choose a mower with 24 horsepower for large yards (4 to 6 acres).
Before buying a lawnmower, you should consider the terrain of your yard. If there is thick grass, uneven ground, or thick weeds, the performance of a lawn tractor may be lower than that of a flat surface. In that case, select the best commercial zero turn mower for 5 acres.
- For thick or heavy grass pick a mower with at least 4 different blades.
- If your land slopes, pick a model that can be maneuvered easily with a small deck.
A mower can be either Manual, Automatic, or Hydrostatic. Now let’s dig into the details.
- Manual Transmission comes with a range of preset speeds, which you can adapt to your personal requirements. Choose a manual transmission model with easy shifting without using a clutch.
- Automatic Transmission lets you control the speed via pedals. You can easily control the ride (or) slow down when you encounter obstacles.
- Hydrostatic Transmission transmits the power from the mower’s engine to the wheels. Thus, liquid-based systems offer smoother rides and require less maintenance.
7. Adjustable Cutting Deck Heights
An adjustable cutting deck prevents lawn scalping. Decks can be lowered or elevated to suit any area. Mowing an accurate cut on level surfaces requires a low setting. If you’re mowing uneven terrain, you’ll have to raise the cutting deck to prevent scalping. If you don’t, your mower blades may be damaged.
8. Fuel Tank Capacity
If you’re going to use a gas-powered riding lawn mower, this feature is crucial. The fuel capacity will tell you how much gas is in a tank, so you don’t have to refuel the tank during mowing.
Medium-sized yards should use mowers with a small fuel capacity, while large properties should use mowers with a large fuel capacity. Typically, a riding mower holds about 2 gallons of gasoline, but larger models can hold 3 to 4 gallons.
You can mow more effectively with a riding lawn mower with perfectly designed seating. It is very comfortable and supportive to have thickly padded seats and a high back. Today, various models offer various features such as cup holders, padded armrests, and spring-coil shock absorbers, etc.
Lawn tractors and rear-engine mowers generally operate with steering wheels. For instance, zero-turn riding mowers are operated by pulling or pushing.
- Zero-Turn Riding Lawn Mower – Its speed is controlled by pushing and pulling the levers, which aid in proper turning. Increasing the speed of the machine requires pushing both levers.
- Rear-Engine Riding Lawn Mower – Like a manual transmission car, this mower also has a gear system. You have to changes the gears on the machine to adjust the speed.
- Lawn Tractors – Come with a throttle for adjusting the speed. Most lawn tractors are equipped with hydrostatic transmissions, making switching speeds smoother than with rear-engine mowers.
It isn’t possible to mow in tight or narrow spaces with a wide cutting deck. If you have a lot of trees or obstacles in your yard, you should pick a mower with a smaller deck.
A large yard takes a lot of time when using a small deck mower. In that case, a zero-turn lawn mower is an excellent solution, since it’s easy to maneuver and works well. With this mower, you’re able to steer easily 180 degrees.
Mowing with a riding lawn mower may be easier or more difficult depending on its weight. You must consider this aspect when choosing the right lawn mower. Riding lawn mowers typically weigh 300 to 600 pounds.
- Rear-engine lawnmower weighs somewhere around 300 pounds.
- Lawn tractor typically weighs 450 pounds.
- Zero-turn lawn mower generally weighs 500 pounds.
13. Cutting Blades
Multi-bladed mowers are best for yards with tough weeds and high grass. These small lawn tractors usually have a single blade, so they are best suited for small lawns with less grass. To mow thick grass or weeds, large lawn tractors with 2 – 3 blades are ideal. With a powerful engine, a mower can cut well even with a single blade.
You should consider the warranties of riding lawn mowers before purchasing one. The mower should cover a warranty period of two years or more. Check the manufacturer’s description and customer service.
Safety Tips to Consider While Using a Riding Lawn Mower
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 80,000 injuries caused by unsafe gardening equipment are reported every year. Preventing accidents and injuries requires safety precautions. Here are a few safety tips for mowing. To use the lawnmower, read the operator’s manual carefully.
- During mowing, you should wear protective eyewear and a hat.
- It is best to mow the grass in the daylight and when it is dry. Even if your lawn tractor has LED light for the low light condition because it is hard to mow wet grass.
- You should check your lawn for toys, rocks, or pebbles that are lying in the dirt. Mowing over these objects can damage the mower.
- When mowing, make sure your children and pets are not nearby.
- Make sure to always look three to four feet ahead while driving.
- If you are mowing challenging terrains, such as hills or slopes, you should mow up and down rather than crosswise or diagonally.
- If you need to open or close a gate, shut off the mower completely.
- When you aren’t using the mower, even for a few seconds, don’t leave it running.
- Turn off the mower before cleaning the cutting blades.
- Don’t try to fix or repair the mower while it’s working. Seeking professional help if you’re not sure how to fix the problem.
- Avoid getting too close to a hot engine.
- If you need to mow for a long period of time in hot weather, remember to wear a hat.
Benefits of a Zero-Radius/Zero-Turn Lawn Tractor
Most of the best lawn tractor for hills, best lawn tractor for acreage and best 50 plus inch lawn tractor for 5 acres utilize Zero-Radius/Zero-Turn mechanism. Due to their 360-degree rotation, these mowers can maneuver around any obstacle (trees, fountains, etc.). The zero-turn mower features four wheels for easy maneuverability.
With improved maneuverability and wide cutting width, it can still mow quickly even at high speeds of up to 8mph. Some of these mowers also have side discharges and mulching capabilities.
Besides helping you cut your grass with less effort, riding mowers have many other advantages. I’ve listed some of them below.
- Mowing a larger area takes less time.
- Large fuel tanks for long-term mowing.
- They’re easy to use and handle.
- The grass-cutting blades can be adjusted easily to the desired height.
- Accessible riding mower parts.
- There are various attachments available for riding mowers, such as clipping collectors, leaf cleaners, mulchers, and fertilizer spreaders.
- Zero-turn mowers can easily access tight spaces, around trees or shrubs.
How To Maintain a Ride-On Lawnmower?
It is essential to properly maintain the best riding lawn mower for 5 acres in order to extend its efficiency and lifespan. Here we discuss some guidelines for maintaining a lawnmower.
- Maintain the mower by removing debris that accumulates when mowing.
- Most mowers come with hose attachments on the deck that can be used for a power wash of the mower.
- You should keep your air filters changed regularly to avoid clogging your mower with debris.
- To ensure a smooth and effective operation, it is necessary to change the oil and replace the mower belts regularly.
- Spark plugs should be replaced once a year for best results.
How To Install Lawn Mower Blades?
Here are the 5 simple steps to installing lawn mower blades:
- Locate the blade bolts. These bolts hold the blade on and need to be tightened occasionally. The bolts are usually located near the handle of the mower.
- Remove the old blades. The easiest way to do this is to flip the mower over and use a wrench to remove the bolts holding on the blades. Make sure to save any pieces of the old blades that you can in case you need them later on.
- Install the new blades. Place the blades on the mower so that they are facing in the correct direction, and tighten down the bolts using a wrench. Be sure to tighten them evenly across all of the blades.
- Check for proper fitment by rotating each blade in its socket several times. If everything looks okay, you’re ready to go!
- NOTE: Always wear safety gear when working with machinery, including safety glasses, gloves, and sturdy work gloves when installing or removing lawn mower blades.
The best lawn tractor for mowing 5 acres comes in handy when you have a large property that spans several acres. You can choose a stand-alone driver or an attachment to go behind the tractor, depending on your preference. In addition to all of these factors, you should also think about many other aspects of finding the best lawn tractor for 5 acres.
You can cut more than 5 acres of land with the Husqvarna MZ61 Zero Turn Riding Mower. With its 27 HP engine power, wide 61-inch cutting deck, and 8.5 mph speed, this machine can mow 3 to 4 acres in an hour.
Best Lawn Tractor For 5 Acres (FAQs)
What Type of Mower is Perfect for a Yard Having a Lot of Trees?
With zero-turn riding lawn mowers, you can mow your yard quickly and efficiently because the mower can turn around trees and in tight spaces effortlessly.
What’s the Difference Between a Lawn Tractor and a Lawnmower?
Lawnmowers mainly cut your lawns/yards, while lawn tractors can also perform tasks like hauling, towing, etc. The difference between a lawn tractor and a lawnmower is that a lawn tractor has more horsepower, a durable frame, and costs more.
When Should I Sharp the Mower Blade?
It is important to sharpen a lawn mower’s blades frequently to keep them honed. There are many factors involved in sharpening blades. You should sharpen your lawnmower blades every 20 or 25 hours if you have a high-quality mower.
How Long Does it Take to Mow 1 Acre or 5 Acres?
It depends on the mower width and moving speed. With a 54-inch deck and 6.5 mph speed, it would take about 56 minutes to mow 3.19 acres of land. Calculate your lawn tractor’s efficiency with this calculator. LINK>>
What Should I Look for in a Machine that can Mow 5-Acres?
Ensure that the machine can maneuver safely while moving fast. The ability to turn 360 degrees can be extremely useful, especially for lawns with irregular shapes.
Chris has 15 years of experience using all the latest technologies, machinery, and equipment available on the market today. His diverse experience allows him to provide homeowners with the best possible results while saving them a lot of time and money. When it comes to Lawn Tractors, Chris knows every model there is – so if you’re looking for advice, he’s your man!