In the world, there are around 8.7 million species; however, only 579 have been found in homes. Cockroaches are one of them.
In most cases, cockroaches leave behind an unpleasant odor because they eat rotten food and garbage. A cockroach’s skin sheddings, droppings, and other body parts emit a terrible odor. If you smell roaches it can affect the taste of your food or drink.
A step-by-step guide on how to get rid of roach smell can simplify your life in this case. With this complete how to get rid of cockroach smell guide, you will know the best and fastest ways to eliminate unpleasant smells from your life entirely.
What Are The Causes Of Cockroach Smell?
Firstly, the pheromones or their natural secretions do it. The cockroach communicates using pheromones.
The second reason for the roach smell is feces. In every location where roaches can live or move, poop is present. It will begin to smell bad once the excrement grows mold. Cockroaches prefer dark, moist habitats in which mold thrives.
Lastly, cockroaches release a “death odor” when they die. Shredded skin from molting and decaying bodies will release oleic acid, which is also strong-smelling.
What Does Cockroach Smell Like?
Here’s an example: After you stepped inside your house and took a deep breath… Oh, no! That’s gross, right? Following the smell’s detection, you probably went from room to room to find out what it was. Your confidence starts to wane. Have you emptied your trash? Has it come in from the outside? There is always the possibility of something worse happening — a pest infestation.
Pests begin emitting odors when they invade your home. The odors are one of the most reliable indicators of where and what type of pest is infesting your home.
What do cockroaches smell like? The Cockroaches release chemicals such as cuticular hydrocarbons, pheromones, and oleic acids. These chemicals create an oily and musty smell.
Why Do Cockroaches Smell So Bad?
The smell of roaches is caused by their pheromones, death stench, and unsanitary living conditions. They use chemical scents to communicate the abundance of food, mates, water, and shelter in which they can find them. Moreover, they produce a scent that warns other roaches when they are in danger. Typically, roaches live in damp, moldy, or mildew environments. They might be responsible for these foul odors.
Do Cockroaches Smell When You Squish Them?
The answer is yes. When crushed, roaches produce a death stench and a milky white liquid. There’s no evidence that the ‘juice’ is what produces the death scent. Also, the blood of this animal does not have an odor.
In place of this, an acidic substance will be released upon death. Those acids are also more easily exposed to the air when the exoskeleton is crushed. You may smell the odor if you specifically search for it. Specifically, oleic acids or fatty acids are responsible for this.
Why Do Roaches Smell When You Kill Them?
Cockroaches emit a unique smell when they are alive to warn others about dangers and predators. This smell comes from oleic acid. Oleic acid begins decomposing the dead body of an insect after it has died. Because of this, the surroundings smell oily and musty.
It is also possible for pesticides to leave behind an unpleasant odor when pests die in large numbers.
1. How To Get Rid Of Roach Smell In Your House
Step 1: Find Cockroach Nests
There is no doubt that this step is essential. Recognize the predominant zones where cockroaches may be found. Most of the bad smells will come from their nests.
Step 2: Get Rid of the Cockroaches
To eliminate the foul smell, it is primordial to first eliminate the cockroaches. You don’t have to worry about getting rid of the cockroach scent once you deal with the cockroaches.
There are DIY pest control solutions if you don’t want to hire a company. It will be crucial to remove all traces of the former colony. Clean up and dispose of any remaining corpses as soon as possible.
Cockroaches can carry harmful bacteria which can cause allergies. Insecticides or dead roaches can irritate your skin or cause breathing difficulties. Make sure you wear gloves and masks for your safety.
Step 3: Throw Away Roach Shelters
It’s best to throw away anything that cockroaches were living in. You may include the following:
- Plastic containers
- Bedding or clothes
Step 4: Vacuuming
Now vacuum up all cockroach droppings and shed skins from the most visible areas of your house. You should vacuum the tops of cabinets, inside drawers, and behind furniture, in other words, everywhere you see cockroaches.
Step 5: Disinfect and Clean
On leftovers or items that cannot be thrown away, it is recommended to use chemical-strength disinfectants. Bleach is appropriate for kitchen areas and other places where color damage is not a problem. You can sanitize cloth and furniture with pet-safe sprays and sanitizers. To do so, follow these steps:
- Throw away contaminated food.
- Use a disinfectant to kill the cockroaches.
- Wait for 10 to 15 minutes before wiping.
- After you’ve finished, it’s a good idea to let the air out.
- Ensure that carpets and rugs are also cleaned.
2. How To Get Rid Of Cockroach Smell In Apartment
If your apartment smells of cockroaches, you need to take immediate action. As a first step, start by clearing the smell from the areas of your apartment that have the most cockroaches.
- If you want a general cleaning, spray insecticide over your home and wait for the cockroaches to leave.
- Keep an eye out for cracks and holes in the walls. After spraying them, I suggest leaving your apartment for about 6 hours.
- Clean and disinfect the floors and surfaces after removing all the dead cockroaches.
- If necessary, sweep and mop with a disinfectant containing bleach.
3. How To Get Rid Of Roach Smell In Cabinets
In the United States, one in ten households reports finding cockroaches in the cabinets. Cockroach allergens are found in 63% of homes. The percentage rises to between 78 and 98% in urban areas. Clearly, roaches are America’s most commonly found household pests.
Your kitchen cabinets are a favorite hiding place for cockroaches, among many other parts of your home. It could easily be turned into a roach hotel. Since they prefer dark, closed spaces, and food and water. Therefore, your kitchen cabinets are a perfect place for roaches to establish a base and cause problems.
- To eliminate cockroaches ’ odor in cabinets, first remove all items from the cabinet, such as clothing, towels, shoes, etc.
- You can use compressed air with a straw for the cleaning process.
- Next, wash all corners with an effective disinfectant. Be sure the cleaner doesn’t harm you or the cabinet.
- It should be registered with the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency).
4. How To Get Rid Of Cockroach Smell On Clothes
An unpleasant cockroach odor on your clothing can irritate you. The smell of cockroaches is also noticeable for people nearby, and carrying cockroach germs with you is not healthy. Here are a few simple methods for eliminating odors from clothes:
- Clean the affected clothing by washing it in the laundry.
- You can spray the affected areas only or the whole piece of clothing.
- You should wash your clothes if you do not have to wear them right away. You can remove the cockroach smell from your clothes by using distilled white vinegar. In fact, it kills 98 percent of bacteria.
5. How To Get Rid Of Roach Smell In the Kitchen
A cockroach enjoys the kitchen the most in your home. There are usually trash cans and food available at the place which draws them there. When your garbage bin is always full, cockroaches have a high probability of infesting the area.
- After pest control is complete, clean all surfaces that have been infected.
- You should wear a face mask and disposable gloves whenever you clean.
- Mild detergents are best for getting rid of all pesticide residues.
- Avoid touching the chemicals with your naked hands, and keep them away from your face.
- After you have cleaned, throw away the mop and wipes you have used.
- You will be able to get rid of stains and odors by thoroughly cleaning.
6. How To Get Rid Of Cockroach Smell In Microwave
- Unplug your microwave.
- Empty the microwave of all content, including the dish.
- Use a disinfectant to spray inside the microwave.
- Give it 5-10 minutes to dissolve.
- To remove the disinfectant, wipe the surface with a clean cloth.
- Apply an anti-roach solution to the outside of your microwave. For best results, let the solution work for an hour. It must be dried afterward to prevent rust.
- Remove dead cockroaches from microwave corners and spray the live ones with insecticide. Give it an hour to stay. Then, use a clean cloth to dry the microwave.
- In case the anti-roach solution still smells in your microwave, repeat the previous steps.
7. How To Get Rid Of Cockroach Smell In Cupboard
- Make sure you inspect the interior, sides, back, and bottom of the entire cabinet.
- Then spray the cupboard with disinfectant and let it sit for ten minutes.
- You can then use a light degreaser to clean the different parts of the cabinet.
- After five minutes (by doing this), the cockroach poop will become soft enough to be removed.
- The non-scratch scrub can be used to remove cockroach feces from painted or wooden surfaces.
- When you’re done cleaning and the cupboard is smell-free, dry it out.
8. How To Get A Cockroach Smell Out Of Fridge And Freezer
Whenever your fridge starts to smell like cockroaches, take the following steps:
- For easier cleaning, turn off the refrigerator.
- Take everything out of the fridge, including the food and liquid.
- To clean the fridge interior, use a towel or napkin.
- Make sure to scrub the interior of your refrigerator thoroughly.
- Use a disinfectant spray and let it work for at least a few minutes.
- Now you can turn the refrigerator on.
- Make sure all the smell has dissipated before placing the items back in the refrigerator.
9. How To Get Roach Smell Out Of Electronics
You are concerned that your electronics have a cockroach smell, and you want to get rid of the cockroach smell. Here is how to get rid of roach smell in electronics.
- Disconnect the power source of the device.
- Use a screwdriver to open the device and remove all roach remains and feces from it.
- To get the best results, use brushes and soft fabrics
- Make sure no roaches remain inside your electronic device.
- Use a strong disinfectant to clean your gadget.
- Let the device air dry for a few hours, and then wipe it with a dry towel.
- Place the electronic back in its original location.
Getting rid of cockroaches from large appliances, such as refrigerators, washing machines, or dishwashers, can be a difficult task, so get help if necessary. Furthermore, you should clean both the inside and outside of the appliance. When cleaning, it is best to remove shelves and drawers.
If you are cleaning the refrigerator, make sure you empty the water tray and clean the freezer. You should eliminate any source of excess moisture or crumbs.
10. How To Get Rid Of Dead Cockroach Smell
Cockroaches’ bodies begin to decay after they die. You smell it because of the chemicals it releases. A dead cockroach also releases sticky liquid when smashed.
If you want to clean the surfaces, you can use soap scum remover or disinfectant spray without harming your surfaces.
11. How To Get Rid Of German Cockroach Smell
The German cockroach is the most common type of cockroach in buildings. You barely ever see them outside, as they are mostly seen indoors. Due to their high rate of reproduction, homeowners often see nymphs in their homes.
To get rid of the smell in your house, you should first get rid of German cockroaches. Once this is done, dispose of all trash and clean the area with a disinfectant. You should cross-check your work area regularly to make sure no nymphs are hiding around corners.
Do Cockroaches Smell Like Fish?
There is a misconception that roaches smell like fish. In comparison, the musty odor of cockroaches is reminiscent of rancid soy sauce. Asian cuisine and sushi are typical dishes that use that condiment. Can you tell me how roaches get their fishy smell? I think there are three reasons for that.
- An extremely smelly mold is a favorite of roaches, especially ones that produce a fishy smell.
- You can smell fishy if roaches eat rotting carcasses.
- Your sewer can emit fish odors and roaches are also likely to live there.
Do Roaches Smell Like Cat Pee?
There is no scientific evidence to suggest that roaches smell like cat pee.
You can detect the smell of cat urine right away, as it is notoriously strong. There is a possibility that they ingested cat urine outside of your home. Even 1-2 roaches should emit little odor. When a colony walks through urine, it will spread it to other surfaces.
Moreover, some molds produce an odor similar to cat urine. There is a possibility that it is black mold. This substance will cause long-term harm to both people and property.
There is nothing worse than having a roach infestation. Most people despise cockroaches as household insects. Most of the time, they hide inside our walls or in the trash.
Roaches are often present in the bathroom, kitchen, and other living areas. Their rapid proliferation makes the problem worse. It’s time to get rid of these icky critters!
I hope this list of “how to get rid of roach smell” details steps will be helpful.
How To Get Rid Of Roach Smell (FAQs)
Can A Roach Smell Make You Sick?
The roach odor has the potential to cause an allergic reaction in some people. There is also a chance you might experience a stomach disorder.
Do Cockroaches Smell Like Urine?
The majority of people who have cockroach infestations report moldy, oily, and foul-smelling odors. You may think rotten or mildewed smells are urine.
It is also possible for cockroaches to have urine on them. Because these pest’s walkthrough unclean areas without a second thought, we do not know what they are swimming in.
Do Cockroaches Smell Like Poop?
Actually, no. It’s not like other animals or people. The smell of cockroach poop is distinctly musty (yeast-like) or rotten.
Do Cockroaches Smell Like Weed?
The smell of decaying plants attracts cockroaches, especially tobacco cigarettes. Likewise, they are attracted to weed. Smoke waste that is damp and decaying is very appealing to cockroaches. This is why they smell like weed.
Do Cockroaches Smell Like Skunk?
Cockroaches do not smell like skunks, it is stink bugs.
Do Cockroaches Smell Like Gas?
It doesn’t smell like gas to me. Most likely, the gas odor you smell isn’t caused by bugs.
Do Roaches Smell Like Maple Syrup?
Some have described their odor as maple syrup-like.
Perry is a certified professional housekeeper and cleaning specialist with over 15 years of experience. She has worked in a variety of settings, including homes, offices, and hospitals. Her focus is on providing thorough, professional cleaning that meets specific needs.