If your Kenmore vacuum cleaner is not living up to its full potential, it might be time to clean its hepa filter. This tiny piece of equipment needs to be cleaned regularly to remove harmful dust and allergens and ensure optimal performance. If you’re having trouble cleaning your kenmore vacuum HEPA filter, check out this guide.
Here I will show you exactly how to clean kenmore vacuum hepa filter. Plus, provide some helpful tips on how to keep your filter in good condition so that it works properly and delivers the clean air you need.
What are HEPA Filters Made of?
HEPA filters remove 99.97 percent of particles 0.3 microns (or micrometers) in size from air.
HEPA filters contain various materials, such as fine glass fibers, metal wools, coated animal hair, vegetable fibers, synthetic fibers (polyester or nylon), synthetic foams, and expanded metals. Then all the fibers ate tangled together and compressed into sheets of paper.
Then, to increase airflow, sheets are pleated and mounted on cardboard, plastic, wood, or metal frames. HEPA filters can also have pre-filters to remove larger particles, activated carbon to remove odors and gases, or chemical treatment to make particles stick.
Benefits of HEPA Filter Vacuum
- Preventing respiratory illnesses such as asthma and bronchitis in your family.
- Improved indoor air quality for people with allergies or other sensitivities.
- Preventing the spread of infection in the home.
- Reduce dust and allergens in the home.
- Keeping the home noise-free.
- Making your home less chemically laden.
- Reducing the carbon dioxide level in the home.
- Keep your furniture clean and free of pollution and allergies.
- Reducing energy costs in your home because a Hepa filter removes allergens and smoke from the air, reducing air conditioning and heating needs.
Can You Clean a HEPA Filter?
No – your HEPA filter won’t remain effective after washing if it’s not explicitly labeled washable or permanent.
Rinsing the filter in water, removing excess dust with a tap, or vacuuming can damage the mesh of fibers that allows the filter to remove particles from the air.
Although the filter may look undamaged, some fibers may be broken or stretched. Therefore, you will have a somewhat clean-looking filter that does not filter properly. Particles can pass through a stretched or torn HEPA filter if the frame or gasket is compromised.
Washable or permanent filters may still function if you wash or clean them off. However, it is unknown how well washable HEPA filters perform after they are washed.
How to Clean Kenmore Vacuum HEPA Filter
Generally, it is better to replace rather than clean HEPA filters. However, if you must clean a HEPA filter, there are two ways to do it. How you use HEPA filters depends on their type.
Here are some steps that you can follow:
- Vacuum to remove any debris.
- Rinse a washable HEPA filter under cold water to clean it.
- Reinstall the vacuum filter after it has dried completely.
- Then, remove the dust bag cover from the machine.
- Dispose of any debris that has been collected where the vacuum bag attaches.
- You can wash the motor filter (under the bag) by hand.
- After rinsing, allow the vacuum to dry completely before returning it.
- Replace the dust bag with a new one and close the cover.
Note: You can only clean Washable Filters or Permanent Filters. Never try it on Disposable Filters.
How To Maintain Your Kenmore Vacuum HEPA Filter
Kenmore vacuum cleaner is a staple in most households and helps to clean up everything from dirt and dust to pet hair and allergen. But like any appliance, your Kenmore vacuum cleaner needs regular maintenance to stay in good condition.
Here are some tips for keeping your Kenmore vacuum cleaner’s HEPA filter clean and healthy:
Keep the filter clean
The HEPA filter is the main component responsible for cleaning up dirt, dust, and other allergens from the air inside your vacuum cleaner. To keep the canister, and filter clean, removing any dirt, dust, or debris accumulating over time is important. To do this, simply use any vacuum hose to suck up the dirt and dust from around the filter.
Check the filter frequently
Maintaining your Kenmore vacuum cleaner means checking the filter regularly for signs of wear and tear and replacing it if necessary.
Service your vacuum cleaner regularly
If you ever notice any problems with your Kenmore vacuum cleaner’s performance or health, don’t hesitate to get it serviced by a professional. A qualified technician can replace or clean your vacuum cleaner’s filters, check for damaged or malfunctioning parts, and more.
Why is it a Bad Idea to Clean a HEPA Air Filter?
- It can actually increase your exposure to harmful particles in the air.
- Cleaning a filter can actually remove some of the filter’s ability to capture and trap pollutants.
- Cleaning a filter can also damage it, decreasing effectiveness and increasing costs.
- You may inhale some of the pollutants from the filter.
The above-mentioned cleaning method will ensure that your HEPA filter works properly and keeps you safe from allergy and asthma triggers.
If the cleaning does not work, experts suggest methods such as using an air compressor or hot air gun to clean the dust. Just follow these tips and keep your family safe.
Now that you know how to clean kenmore vacuum hepa filter, make sure to do it on a regular basis to keep your vacuum cleaner in top working order. Cleaning and maintaining your vacuum can help to improve its performance and lifespan.
Brian Bennett is an experienced central vacuum expert who has written extensively on the topic. His articles cover a variety of topics related to central vacuum systems, including installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting. Brian also offers a variety of helpful tips and tricks for optimizing central vacuum performance.