My favorite morning and evening pastimes were relaxing on the couch with a cup of coffee. I’m sure you feel the same way, aren’t you?
When we are sleepy, coffee makes us wake up and give us the energy to work. There’s no doubt about it. But whether a drop or the entire cup falls on the carpet or couch, it’s a disaster. In any case, stains are not acceptable.
My goal in this article is to show you the best and most proven methods on how to remove coffee stains from couches, carpets, white clothes, fabric, jeans, upholstery, paper, mattresses, and car seats. Additionally, you will learn how to clean stainless-steel cups & mugs, porcelain sinks, shoes, granite, and painted wood.
1. How to Remove Coffee Stains From Carpet
How long do coffee stains last? It is becoming more difficult to remove dry stains after they have settled down for a while. However, the chances of reducing them are high. If you take quick action, you can get rid of coffee stains permanently.
My article How to Remove Coffee Stains from Carpet shows you every possible method to help you achieve that. My real-life experience and hundreds of research hours have helped me discover effective solutions to remove stains from anything.
About 64% of Americans consume coffee regularly, 400 billion cups consumed each year. And 9 percent drank 6 or more cups of coffee in a day.Nifty House
What You Need to Remove Coffee Stains from Carpets
- Dry Clean Clothes or Towels
- Cold or Warm Water
- Mild Liquid Dish Soap
- Carpet Stain Remover
- Baking Soda
- White Vinegar
Removing Fresh Coffee Stains
- Never scrub the carpet forcefully.
- Take a clean cloth and use blotting or pressing motion to absorb as much coffee liquid as possible.
- Repeat these steps until it became dim.
- Pour cold water onto the coffee stain and rub gently.
- Use a dry cloth to blot up.
- According to the type of coffee and how much landed on the carpet, repeat this process until it becomes almost dry.
- If you are not satisfied with the final results, then use your favorite carpet stain remover. Carefully follow the instruction because overuse may attract more dirt in the long run. I have made my list below.
How To Remove Old Coffee Stains From Carpet?
- Before starting the cleaning process, you have to wet the stained area lightly. Remember that removing old coffee stains from carpeting requires extra effort.
- Apply all the steps on the above and observe the results.
- If you have wool or wool blend carpets, use 3 drops in a cup of water solution onto the carpet and continue to blot it away using a clean cloth.
- You can use a tablespoon of ammonia with a cup of water as a cleaning solution on other types of carpets.
- Apply ammonia solution and wait 3-5 minutes before blotting the solution.
- It is also important to have a close look to ensure it doesn’t damage the color.
What About Coffee and Cream Stains?
If you love cream coffee and accidentally spills onto the carpets, you should use an enzymatic carpet cleaner. You can try pet carpet stain remover, too. This type of carpet cleaners eliminates unpleasant odors by break down the protein in the stain from the carpet. Make sure you dry your carpet throughout before applying other stain removal methods.
What to Do If Coffee Stains Reappear?
You can utilize a DIY carpet stain removal process. If the coffee liquid soaks deeply by the carpets or the floor surface, then it might happen. In this case, repeat the above process and this time ensure you dry up the carpet properly. Try dry clean clothes or towels on the wet area with gentle force to sock the liquids. Also, you can use a fan to blow across the wet area and make it dry quickly.
Homemade Carpet Stain Cleaner
Can I use a homemade cleaning solution to remove carpet stains? Yes, you can. There are some effective do-it-yourself methods that I discuss earlier. But you will need a professional carpet cleaner to remove stubborn stains.
Does Baking Soda Remove Coffee Stains from Your Carpet?
Baking soda works great to remove red wine and grease stains. But you can use it for lifting off coffee stains too. After rinsing with cold water and drying the carpets, you can sprinkle baking soda over the stained areas and vacuum up the remaining baking soda after some time. That’s it.
How To Remove Coffee Stains With Baking Soda
Make a thin paste using baking soda and water after covering the stained area with the paste and drying it; when the paste dry, sweep it up using a soft bristle brush. You can use a vacuum to do the job done quickly. You have to repeat the steps until you eliminate the stain.
How to Clean Carpet with Vinegar
You can utilize the cleaning powers of vinegar. A combination of 1 tablespoon liquid dish soap, 1 tablespoon white vinegar and 2 cups of warm water can effectively reduce carpets stains and give you a fresh aroma around the house.
How to Remove Coffee Stains from Carpet Without Vinegar – Using Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is another good way to make dark spots lighter. You can also use lemon juice with some commercial cleaner that will help you get rid of the coffee stains extra fast.
Some experts pour some beer on the wet or dried coffee spill. They use clean clothes to absorb the moisture out of your carpet. This process also helps you out in some cases.
How to Use Club Soda on Carpet Stains
You can use club soda as a carpet stain remover. At first, absorb the liquid as much as you can then spray club soda and make it wet again. You can use your finger to scrub gently on the stained area. And let it do its work for up to 10 minutes. After that period, you can rinse the carpet with cool water.
Use Salt When You’re in a Pinch
Salt is a great way to pull the stain from the surface. Throw some salt on the area because it is effectively drawing moisture from the carpet. You can use this method to treat a coffee stain.
Egg Yolk as a Carpet Stain Cleaner
I am not kidding. Just grab an egg, a cup of cold water, and a sponge.
- Blot the spot with the sponge.
- Break the egg and put it over the stain with some water.
- A few minutes later, rinse with cold water.
- It really works in some cases; you can test it and see which methods work best for you.
How To Use A Wet Vacuum to Eliminate Carpet Stains Effectively
You can use a dry-wet vacuum cleaner as well. First, pour cleaning solution onto the stain to soak the entire area and leave it around for 10 minutes. After that, use your wet/dry vacuum to remove all of the liquid. You have to repeat this process until getting your desire results.
How to Remove Coffee Stains from Carpet with Iron
You can remove carpet stains without hiring a pro simply using an iron.
- Apply 1 teaspoon of dishwashing with hot water.
- Use an old towel and lay it on top of the stain.
- Set the iron heat at medium level and moving the iron back and forth over the towel on the stained area for up to 1 minute.
- Do it until the stain has fully transferred.
- When it is dimming, you can use dry paper to remove excess moisture.
- Additionally, a hairdryer can speed up the drying process.
How To Use Coffee Stain Carpet Oxiclean
OxiClean™ Carpet & Area Rug Stain Remover is a proven commercial product that helps you eliminate carpet stains.
- Absorb excessive coffee liquid using cloth, towel, or paper tissue.
- Apply carpet OxiClean solution and let it stand for 10 minutes. (Do not use it on wool, leather, or silk carpets).
- Again, blot the area with a clean sponge.
- After getting rid of stains, use a vacuum cleaner to make it completely dry.
Best Carpet Stain Removers
There are many well-known and effective Carpet Stain Removers in the market; here, I make this list with my personal experience. I hope these products help you to clean the carpet stain effortlessly. My goal is to give you some free time to enjoy yourself.
- Capture Carpet And Rug Dry Cleaner
- Bissell ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Pro Carpet Cleaner
- Tide Coldwater Liquid Laundry Detergent
2. How To Remove Coffee Stains From Clothes
Do Coffee Stains Come Out of Clothes? We all know, removing coffee stains from clothes is a trial-and-error process. You have to repeat the process until your clothes get back its shiny looks, obviously not damaging the fabrics. Right?
You can go for any process that you think is easier to carry out at that particular moment. There are many proven methods available in the community, and experts also agree with that. You can use several common household items such as bar soap, baking soda, and even baby powder or toothpaste to manage the problem.
What You Need to Remove Coffee Stains from Clothes
- White Vinegar
- Baking Soda
- Stain Remover
3. How to Remove Coffee Stains From White Shirt
How to Remove Coffee Stains Using Baking Soda
Baking soda can remove coffee stains from a white shirt effectively.
- After blotting, sprinkle baking soda over the garments.
- Give some time to seep in.
- Rub the stain with your fingers.
- Wait an hour before rinsing it off.
Removing Coffee Stains from Synthetic Fabrics
Synthetic fabrics are considered durable compared to silks, furs, and leathers. Thus, it is pretty easy to remove coffee stains from polyester, acrylic, modacrylic, spandex, olefin, and nylon. how to remove coffee stains from fabric? Here is the easiest process. Follow the steps below:
- As usual, it is mandatory to reduce excess coffee liquids; you can use a sponge, dry clothes/towel, or even tissue.
- Take 1 tablespoon of white vinegar, and ½ teaspoon of dishwashing detergent, and mix it with 1 quart of warm water to make your solution.
- Wait up to 10-15 minutes; after that, you can rinse the stained area with warm water.
- You can use rubbing alcohol and a sponge to make the drying process quicker as well.
How to Treat Coffee Stains with an Enzyme Presoak – Removing Coffee Stains from Cotton
You can also completely eliminate the coffee stain from cotton or linen following this simple process.
- Blot up excess coffee liquids; working from the outside to the center
- Use a commercial stain remover like 1 tablespoon enzyme presoak product
- Rinse and dry the cotton clothes
How to Remove Coffee Stains Using Stain Remover
- Buy multi-purpose stain remover and read the instruction thoroughly.
- Test on a small portion garment first before large-scale application.
- If it doesn’t discolor or damage the fabric, then rub it into the stain.
- Wait 10-15 minutes after that wash the garment normally.
4. How to Remove Coffee Stains From Clothes Home Remedies
How to Use Bleach to Remove Coffee Stains on Clothing
I like to recommend to use chlorine or oxygen bleach on the stubborn coffee stain only. You can use this process on old or set-in stains, too. Before use read the instruction; Is it safe on your clothes or not? Avoid using bleach on wool, silk, spandex, mohair, or leather clothing.
- Mix 1/4 cup chlorine bleach on a gallon of water
- Soak your garment up to 5 minutes
- Wash and rinse as usual
How to Remove Coffee Stains Using Vinegar
Vinegar is an effective stain remover. To make the cleaning solution, mix well 1 tablespoon of laundry powder, 1 white vinegar, and enough water.
- Apply on the garment (make sure it won’t discolor the fabric).
- Rub the paste gently into the stain.
- You can use an old clean toothbrush for scrubbing the stain.
- If your clothes are made with wool or another delicate fabric, use your finger to scrub or rub.
- In the end, rinse the fabric thoroughly.
5. How to Remove Coffee Stains From Jeans
Whenever I face a problem like this, I use this process to remove coffee stains from jeans. You can perform this process using Baking soda, White distilled vinegar, Coldwater, Sponge / Clothes, and Stain remover.
Removing Fresh Coffee Stains from Jeans: At first, prepare your solution to remove a coffee stain from jeans fabric. Mix 1 teaspoon of white distilled vinegar and with 4 cups of cold water. Then, apply it and gently blot the stained area with a dry cloth.
How to Get Dried Coffee Stains Out of Clothes? – Jeans
If you are in a hurry and forget about your stained jeans, don’t worry. Just sprinkle 1 tablespoon of baking soda. And rub gently over the stain. You can repeat this process as many times as required.
All the scenario wash and iron the jeans are also required. If you do not find the desired result, you should use Stain Remover by following the above instructions.
6. How to Remove Coffee Stains From Mugs
Most of the coffee aficionados people have their favorite mug. As the mug used for long times, there is a high chance it got disgusting coffee stains on the inside. So here, I will discuss how you can remove coffee stains from mugs successfully. All are process are perfectly working on remove coffee stains from stainless steel cups or mugs too.
You’ll Need to Remove Coffee Stains from Mugs
- A Lemon juices
- A microfiber cloth
- Little warm water
- Salt (optional)
How to Remove Coffee Stains from Stainless Steel Mug – Using Lemon
You may know how much cleaning power one lemon possesses. You can utilize that power to remove stain from your mugs. Let’s know- How to Remove Coffee Stains from Mugs with Lemon.
- Squeeze the lemon juice and ensure affected spots are coated.
- Wait around 10-15 minutes.
- Use a clean microfiber cloth and rub the juice into the stains gently.
- Rinse with warm water.
- For tough stains, you have to repeat the process with a little sprinkle of salt.
- Repeat until your mug is free of stains.
How to Remove Coffee Stains from Cups Using Vinegar
Vinegar also works magically on stains. To clean stain coffee stain using vinegar, you will need 1 cup of distilled white vinegar, a bowl, and Oven mitts.
- Pour the vinegar into the bowl and heat it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using oven mitts, pour the vinegar into your mug.
- Leave it for 2-3 hours or a night; no problem with that.
- After that, rinse the vinegar with clean water.
- You can perform this task repeatedly to make your mug bright and shiny.
How to Remove Coffee Stains from Coffee Pot – Using Baking Soda
We all know that baking soda is another whitening agent. In this case, you can use it with 1 to 2 teaspoons of baking soda.
- Sprinkle baking soda as much it required.
- Add water and make a paste. If your paste is runny, then add more baking soda and make it thicken.
- Covered up the stained area with it for some time.
- Scrub the paste into the spots
- Rinse it well.
- Do the same process again if all your stains are not removed.
7. How To Remove Coffee Stains From Stainless Steel
We use stainless steel products such as coffee mugs, coffee pots in our day to day life. It’s become our parts of life. We have to take care of these materials, Or your favorite stainless steel thermos surfaces will catch up with stains. After knowing the best coffee stain removing methods, you can get back that shiny look once again.
- First, make a paste (baking soda-peroxide mixture) using 1-part hydrogen peroxide and 2 parts baking soda.
- Cover up the (appliance or countertop) stain areas with the paste.
- Please wait for a couple of minutes and then rinse it up.
- When you confirm that there are no more traces of the coffee stains, use a damp sponge to make it dry.
Removing Coffee Stains from Stainless Steel with Dishwasher Detergent
You can make your stainless-steel products clean using 2 tsp dishwashing detergent, bottlebrush, and hot water.
- Put on hand gloves and make boiling water.
- After that, drop the detergent into the boiling water.
- Place your stainless-steel products in hot water.
- To loosen the stains, wait 30 minutes.
- Scrub the inside of the cup, mug, or pot with a bottle brush.
- Rinse it several times with hot water to finish the cleaning process.
8. How To Remove Coffee Stains From Upholstery
Never scrub hardly to remove a coffee stain from the furniture. The best way to blot the surface using a clean towel in a circular motion until the stain disappears.
Step 1: Use Vinegar
If you can’t eliminate the stain by using detergent or a soft towel, you can try a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar. To get the rest result, use vinegar with lukewarm water onto the stain and use a sponge to scrub.
Step 2: Baby wipes
Every mother knows how important to have multi-purpose baby wipes are. Baby wipes also play a vital role to remove a coffee stain from upholstery. It can successfully absorb the stain and liquid.
9. How To Remove Coffee Stains From Couch
Step 1: You should remove cushion covers as soon as you have spilled the coffee liquid. It will prevent liquid from spreading to the rest of the cushion.
Step 2: Remove excess liquid using a clean piece of cloth. You can use a wet-dry vacuum cleaner as well.
Step 3: Rinse the entire cushion under cold water.
Step 4: Apply bleach-free liquid Cleaning Solutions (Baking soda, salt, club soda, or ginger ale) on the coffee stain. Then, soak the cushion cover in warm water for at least 30 minutes.
Step 5: If you use a liquid cleaning solution, then rinse it with clean water. Otherwise, use a vacuum to remove the powder.
Step 6: You can use diluted vinegar (1-part vinegar, 2 parts water) to eliminate traces of the coffee stain. If you use a commercial stain remover, then rewash the entire cushion cover.
10. How To Remove Coffee Stains From Mattress
Step 1 – Place a layer of dry cloth onto the stain to absorb the fluid. Apply gentle pressure with your palm.
Step 2 – After absorbing the coffee liquid completely, use a damp cloth to dilute the stain. Sprinkle baking soda and leave it for a night, then vacuum the next morning.
Step 3 – If step 2 does not provide your desire result. You can use chemical-free homemade stain removal (½ cup of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of tepid water) and gently brush the area using a soft toothbrush.
Step 4 – You can use hydrogen peroxide and remember that it may cause discoloration on the mattress fabric.
Step 5 – If possible, Sunbath your mattress. It will reduce odor and kill bacteria effectively.
11. How To Remove Coffee Stains From Car Seats
Step 1: Pull Over as Soon as Possible and Grab Some Supplies.
Using an absorbent material (paper towel, cloth, or baby wipe) absorbs coffee as quickly as possible because a fresh spill is easier to clean up than a dried one.
Step 2: Make a natural cleaning solution, apply it, and rub gently.
Make a DIY solution using 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 water, and a few squirts of dish soap. Also, you can spray-on upholstery cleaner. Leave the paste on the surface for at least 20 minutes. Then rub gently with a clean sponge.
Step 3: Soak Up Excess Liquid with Microfiber Cloth or Vacuuming.
Rinse with clean water and blot. You have to keep blotting until you confirm that there are no more brown coffee stains. Use a wet/dry shop vacuum to remove unwanted spilled coffee. Leaving your windows down or use a hairdryer to dry the wet seat.
I hope you find an effective way to remove coffee stains. I do my best to provide you with the most informative content about how to remove coffee stains. Please let me know if I missed something, I appreciate your contribution.
Perry is a certified professional housekeeper and cleaning specialist with over 15 years of experience. She has worked in a variety of settings, including homes, offices, and hospitals. Her focus is on providing thorough, professional cleaning that meets specific needs.