If you’re looking for instructions on how to repair scratches on luxury vinyl flooring.
Right here you will find all the information you need. There is no doubt that you will benefit from this article.
Furthermore, we have some additional information about vinyl flooring that will put you one step ahead. In the following sections, you will discover how to repair scratches in the easiest way.
Now let’s look at the main topic.
Vinyl flooring gives our homes the natural beauty that we all crave for. It adds value to the overall visual of our home and gives appeal to the eye. Although vinyl flooring is known to be durable, it can get damaged.
The dull or scratched vinyl floor feels unwelcoming to our eyes. Especially when your tiles are designed to mimic a substance (e.g., tiles), the scratches give away a natural look. That’s why repairing and maintaining scratches is essential.
How You Can Prevent Acquiring Scratches of Luxury Vinyl Flooring
There are several ways your floor acquires stains. We will point out the most common causes of scratches:
- Furniture: Furniture and appliances can damage your floors efficiently. Heavy furniture can quickly put scratches on the floor while pushed around. Place plywood over the floor and use it to slide furniture or appliances. You can also use floor protectors to prevent dents. Simply put them under the furniture legs. It’s better to avoid items with casters at the bottom. Double wheel casters are safer than single-wheel casters comparably.
- Dirt from Door Entrance: Adding a mat to entrances of any room can reduce scratch risks. Especially when the entrance that leads outside. Dirt can be abrasive and scratch the floor. It sticks to our foot and can scratch the floor while you walk. To prevent this, put mats at the entrance. You also need the right type of mat. Avoid mats with rubber or latex back. This type of carpet may chemically interact with the floor. Choose mats with vinyl-back or choose a colorfast woven rug. A cloth will prevent dirt or other materials from sticking with your shoes from entering the room.
- Cleaning and Shining Products: Don’t use solvent-based polishes to shine your vinyl floor. Also, try to avoid products that add wax to the floor unless your floor has wax. Older floors can be waxed. Avoid using soap to clean the floor. These can dull the look of your floors.
How to Remove Scratches from Vinyl Flooring?
Even if your luxury vinyl tile is scratch-resistant, you may still find it scuffed after a while. Scratched vinyl tiles are unsightly to look at, but they can be repaired. This is not a difficult task, even for beginners.
You can repair your scratches in a number of ways. Some commercial products are available to help you save time and effort. In this article, we’ll show you the simplest and most effective way to fix scratched luxury vinyl floors.
3 Steps Solution to Repairing Scratches on Luxury Vinyl Tile
Things You’ll need:
- A bucket with warm water
- Dishwashing Liquid
- Sandpapers (P320, P500, P800)
- Car rubbing compounds
- Clean Cloths
Step 1: Cleaning
Mix 1/4 cup of dishwashing liquid with warm water. Now soak the sponge in the mixture and clean the floors with it. Make sure to remove everything from the inner layer of the scratch. Don’t proceed to the next step before you see the spot thoroughly cleaned and sparkling. Give the floor some time to dry up.
Step 2: Sanding
Sanding is used to polish and smooth scratches. If you want the best results, you should use 3 types of sandpaper. Sand lightly with each grit type to avoid damaging the finish. You may score the tile if you rub too hard. In this case, you will have no choice but to replace the entire flooring. Do not use an orbital or disc sander, which spins too fast. Rub gently with your hands.
Sand with p320 grit sandpaper. Use the sandpaper to rub the scratch in the same direction as the wipe. You must smooth out the scratch and remove the edges. With this grade of sandpaper, you can remove most of the scratch.
Next, take the finer p500 grit sandpaper. Circularly rub the paper over the scratch. This will remove any wax from the tile’s top, preparing it for waxing later. Make sure to rub gently. If you rub too hard, you may damage the finish.
Finally, graduate with a p800 grit sandpaper. Follow the same procedure as before. Rub gently until the scratch is smooth and level with the tile. Make sure the spot is even by touching it with your fingertips.
Now you can wash the tiles. Make sure your cloth is fresh and clean. After you finish sanding, clean all the dust. Wait until the floor is dry before continuing.
Step 3: Waxing
For waxing the tile, you’ll need a good-quality car rubbing compound. Polishing vinyl surfaces with car wax can effectively restore their luster.
Apply a few drops of the mixture to a clean cloth. Now, lightly wax the tile, especially in the scratched area. In circular motions, rub the fabric over the flooring to restore its shine.
Make sure the tile is free of wax. Then wipe the floor with a clean cloth. You won’t be able to see the scratch if you do it correctly. You can also use commercial products.
Step 4: Use Wearmax Scratch Concealer
5 simple straightforward application procedure
How to get the best result when using Wearmax Scratch Concealer to hide the scratches?
If you are not willing to go through the manual process, then this Scratch Concealer products can be convenient for you. WearMax Scratch Concealer for Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) Flooring is super easy to use. This vinyl floor scratch repair is also successfully resistant to stains, water, and abrasions.
Here’s a guide on how to use this product to hide any pesky scratch marks without replacing boards or calling the professional.
Pros and Cons of WearMax Scratch Concealer
Will this scratch remover work on all types of vinyl floors?
YES. I am personally not to use it on several types of vinyl floors. When I use it on Luxury Vinyl Flooring, I am delighted.
But I research it and found that it works well on the various vinyl floor regardless of the color. such as:
- Grey vinyl floor
- Brown vinyl floor
- Alder vinyl floor
- Pear vinyl floor
- Apple vinyl floor
- Majestic oak vinyl floor
- Ebony walnut vinyl floor
- Barrel vinyl floor
- Barn wood vinyl floor
- Whiskey barrel vinyl floor
- Also, you will the best result on luxury vinyl planks that have aluminum oxide.
Does this product really hide the visible scratches?
Of course. It can perfectly hide visible scratches. Without a specific inspection, nobody sees the scratches on the floor surface.
Now you know how to repair scratches on luxury vinyl flooring. It looks simple now, doesn’t it? It’s fast from beginning to end, and anyone can do it. Whenever you see a scratch, try to repair it right away. If you fail to do so, you may end up with a dirty floor.
Repair Scratches On Luxury Vinyl Flooring (FAQs)
Out of all the hardwood floors, vinyl flooring is one of the best options. Especially, when you are looking for natural beauty. Vinyl flooring delivers natural beauty with less required maintenance. Choosing the right luxury vinyl option will bring the class that you are trying to add to your space. Cheap and luxury vinyl floorings may look similar from afar, but once close enough, you can tell them apart.
Now let’s look at the advantages and
disadvantages of luxury vinyl floorings. The pros and cons go as below:
- Captures the aesthetic of hardwood flooring
- Resistant to spill
- Resistant to scratches
- Feels softer underfoot compared to hardwood flooring
- Not much maintenance is required
- Shaw’s Luxury Vinyl: Shaw is a pioneer in manufacturing luxury vinyl floorings. With shaw’s, you get various types of vinyl. There are Classico, Premio, Aviator, Navigator, Easy Street. All of these have their own values and differences. Choose the one that suits you the most.
- If you seek to extract value, choose from aviator and navigator.
- Classico has basic hardwood finishing.
- Easy street is superior and durable.
- Premio is often considered the best of its kind.
- Karndean Art Select: This one manufacturer is a bit old school and pricey. Don’t worry about the price as it is right for all reasons. This luxury vinyl is rare and does not come with a self-stick adhesive. Instead, it uses loose lay that uses a heavy soft backing that grips the floor. This ensures that ridges are avoided. If you like old school designs and want value go for Karndean Art Select.
- Lumber Liquidators Tranquility: If you look at the more economical choices in luxury vinyl planks. Lumber Liquidators Tranquility is a more affordable choice. Thickness options are ranging from 1.5mm to a maximum of 5mm with 7″ width. These planks will have no problems in places where less traffic is involved.
Perry Stein graduated from Washington University in St. Louis. She has 10 years of extensive knowledge of housekeeping, laundry, cleaning floors, and cleaning products. She was a writer for Washington City Paper and Miami Herald.