When it comes to cleaning your house, shark vacuum cleaners are the best. If maintained properly, they will last several years. Do you know how to clean a shark vacuum filter?
You know that cleaning shark vacuum filters isn’t easy. It is hard to determine when they need cleaning. Doesn’t it?
The following information is general and should apply to all shark models. Let’s discuss how to clean a shark vacuum filter.
How Do You Know Vacuum Filter Needs Cleaning?
You must need some reasons to clean your shark vacuum filter, right? Well, there are some ways to know when your shark vacuum filter needs cleaning, such as:
- Nasty smell: If a disgusting odor is coming out of your shark vacuum cleaner, then it’s time to clean your vacuum cleaner.
- Loss of Suction-power: This is one of the easiest ways to know. After using a couple of times, you will see that cleaner suction power is weak than usual. That means you must give a wash to your vacuum cleaner.
- Noise: If you hear an awkward noise coming out of your cleaner, you should give it a proper clean.
- Low Performance: If you see that your cleaner is not performing as it should be, then it’s time to wash it.
When To Clean Entire Vacuum Cleaner?
Is it possible to wash shark vacuum filters? The answer is yes. You can wash your shark vacuum filters by removing each part one by one. Following the manufacturer’s instructions will make it easier to remove components from cleaners.
Once you have removed the other parts, I suggest giving them a good wash. You may need to clean the other parts a second time if they become dirty over time, which means you will have to open up your cleaner once again.
What’s the point of doing the same task over and over when you can do it all at once? Therefore, you should clean the other parts as well as the filter. As long as the other components are not dirty and working quickly, there is no need to wash them. Simply clean the filter.
Cleaning Equipment’s You Will Need
Here is a list of things that you will need to clean your vacuum filters as well as other parts if necessary.
- Screwdriver: You have to detach the parts of your shark vacuum cleaner. So, a screwdriver will make your work easier.
- A Big Bowl or Bucket: You will need a big bowl or bucket to wash your vacuum filters or the other parts.
- A Proper Cleaning Solution: You will need a cleaning solution to clean the vacuum cleaner. You can use a solution made of soap. I like to suggest using some white vinegar. You can use baking soda to remove the disgusting odor of your vacuum filters. Also, rubbing alcohol can give you a more delicate clean result.
- A Brush: You may need to clean the dust container. A brush will help you to reach every corner of the dust container.
- Spray Gun and Water: Water is must require for most of the cleaning jobs. In this case, you can use freshwater and a spray gun to spray the water with high pressure to clean the parts of your vacuum cleaner.
- A Pair of Scissors: A pair of scissors can be used for removing hairs and unnecessary threads from the cleaner head.
- Papers: If you feel uncomfortable, grab some papers to scrub the dust out of your cleaner.
- Gloves: You should wear plastic gloves before you start cleaning shark vacuum cleaner. A pair of gloves will protect your hands from dust and germs.
- Clean cloth: A clean towel or cloth can help you a lot while cleaning the vacuum cleaner.
- Compressed air: You can use compressed air duster when you cannot use water for cleaning.
How To Clean Shark Vacuum Filter?
Now come to the main point, about shark vacuum filter cleaning. After you have detached the parts of your vacuum cleaner, you will find two types of filters.
- Pre-motor filters
- Post-motor filters
Step 1: Pre-Motor Filters
You have to clean all of them. Foam is one of the pre-motor filters. When cleaning foam filters on shark vacuums, it is important to know how to do it in the right way. Simply take it out.
To remove dust from foam, you can bite it with your hand if the foam is not so dirty. Then, in the soapy water, soak it for a minute and then press it with your hand. Do this until the foam is clean. After you have cleaned the filters, you should take them out and let them dry in the sun.
Step 2: Post-Motor Filters (HEPA Filters)
HEPA filters, or post-motor filters, can be dried with compressed air, as water is not suitable for these filters. This will remove the filter’s dust.
As the foam consumes a lot of dust, you should regularly clean your vacuum filters, as dirty filters cannot function effectively. The dirt can also damage your vacuum if you don’t clean your filters every month. You should change your HEPA filters every year.
How To Clean Hose?
The hose cleaning part is the most crucial part of cleaning shark vacuum cleaner. As you can’t reach all of it, sometimes it gets hard to clean the hose.
Here are the pro tips for you to clean the hose effortlessly:
- Soak the hose into the cleaning solution for some moments and then take it out.
- You can use the spray gun to wash the hose with the clean water. The pressurized water will wash away the dust out of the hose.
- You have to dry the hose outside right after the wash.
How To Clean Dust Container?
This is where all the dust of your house goes every time you use the shark vacuum cleaner. So, it’s evident that the dust container is the dirtiest part of your vacuum cleaner. Steps are below:
- You just take the dust container outside and shake the maximum amount of dust off it. Don’t forget to wear masks, gloves, and goggles to protect yourself from the dust.
- After that, you should use a brush to get the dirt out of the container. Try to reach all the corners of the container using the brush.
- Now take the container and soak it in the bowl or bucket filled with the cleaning solution.
- Leave it there for half an hour.
- Then take some paper and scrub the loose dirt off the container.
- Finally, wash it with clean water once more and place it outside in the sunlight to dry.
How To Clean Cleaner Head?
While cleaning the cleaner head, you have to keep two things in your mind-
1. Cleaning Procedure For An Extended Break
To clean the cleaner head after a long time, you must remove it completely. You must also clean the interior of the cleaner head.
Then you will need to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. When the cleaner head is completely opened, clean the interior parts with a clean piece of paper.
However, not every shark vacuum cleaner allows you to remove the internal parts of the cleaner head. If so, you should proceed to the next step.
2. Frequent Cleaning Procedure
It isn’t necessary to fully detach the cleaner head every time you clean it. Remove all the hair and other threads from the cleaner head with scissors.
Don’t cut the bristles, though. Vacuum cleaners are damaged by it. The dust on the cleaner head can be removed with a brush or your finger.
How To Increase The Longevity Of Shark Vacuum
1. Clean It Once A Week
When it comes to cleaning, you can always depend on the Shark vacuum cleaners. They are well known for their fabulous service. But everything needs to be used with a proper guideline to work the same for a long time. You must clean your vacuum cleaner once every week. It will increase the life span of your vacuum cleaner.
2. Change HEPA Filters For Smooth Performance.
Moreover, you must change the HEPA filters according to your need. If the HEPA filter gets dirty and loses its white color, you will know that it’s time to change it. But you don’t have to worry if you can change it once every year.
3. Reassemble The Vacuum And Make It Dry
After your cleaning procedure is done, you have to reassemble all the parts. Now wipe the entire vacuum and make sure every component is dehydrated. Because of wet lead to mildew and mold problems in your cleaner.
4. Use Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum for Carpet and Hard Floor
Shark vacuum cleaners are known for their excellent service, easy use, and easy maintenance. These cleaners rely heavily on their vacuum filters. There is a chance of damage if they are getting dirty and not cleaned properly.
The vacuum cleaner cannot work efficiently if the filters are not clean. Dirty filters may also spread dirt around your house. So, vacuum filters need to be cleaned frequently. With your knowledge of how to clean shark vacuum filters, I’m sure you’ll be able to keep your house healthy and clean.
- Best Machine To Clean Tile Floors And Grout
- Best Mop Head For Waxing Floors
- Best Vacuum And Steam Cleaner Combo Reviews
- Best Robot Vacuum For High Pile Carpet
Perry is a certified professional housekeeper and cleaning specialist with over 15 years of experience. She has worked in a variety of settings, including homes, offices, and hospitals. Her focus is on providing thorough, professional cleaning that meets specific needs.